Discussion Groups

Robot Structural Analysis

Valued Contributor
mortel09
Accepted Solution

Instability?

301 Views, 3 Replies
02-01-2012 03:55 AM

What does it mean that some of the beams are "instability" according to the calculations list? they have a ratio of 0.26 but are not "ok"? is it ok that some are instability?

Please use plain text.
Product Support
Artur.Kosakowski

Re: Instability?

02-01-2012 03:59 AM in reply to: mortel09

This means that their slenderness is larger than the limit you decided on (required by the selected design code).

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
mortel09

02-01-2012 04:02 AM in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

should i change to a larger beam to get rid of this problem? or will the construction still hold?

Please use plain text.
Product Support
Artur.Kosakowski

02-01-2012 04:10 AM in reply to: mortel09

I'm very sorry but I'm not in the position to make any statement about the security of the structure you are designing.In general you should increase the sections to meet t the code provisions. The code  group design option should find the right sections. Please remember to run verification of all elements of the model after you replace their original profiles with the ones the code group design proposes (mind to run calculations of the model with new profiles before running steel verification).

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Please use plain text.