Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instability type 1 and 2 in frame/cable structure

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mailingbot
810 Views, 7 Replies

Instability type 1 and 2 in frame/cable structure

Hi,

I am just a begginner in autodesk robot and I am an architect not an structural engineer so I could have made mistakes.

I am trying to analyze a 3d structure consisting of timber frames with additional wire support. 

I am using a script to transfer the shape from grasshopper to robot.

I am getting instabilities at all the positions of wires.

The way I define wires might not be right as I am not using cables from robot.

I just used a steel element with hinges on both sides. This shouldn;t matter in the instabilities I think as I should get it working if I use steel bars instead, but it isn't working.

I am attaching a file in robot and also the design concept of the trusss that show s the idea behind it

concept1.jpg

concept2.jpg

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Rafacascudo
in reply to: mailingbot

Delete releases for "Wire section" and " section verticals". Set the "Wire section" bars to tension only ( Menu/geometry/additional atributes/Advanced bar properties)

Set non linear paramenters for each load case and combination to... see below , tick "matrix update after each iteration"

nonlinear parameters.jpg

you should look carefully to this structure model as not all "Wire section" bars are in tension

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
mailingbot
in reply to: Rafacascudo

Thank you. After doing these steps I do not have instability errors any more. 

I sometimes get "incorrect use of a release for a truss member" - Only non linear releases for UX are allowed...

It happens when I export from grasshopper to robot without any releases on verticals and wires. It does not hapen when I export with releases and I delete them. As I want to do many iteration with sligthly different shapes I am wondering why is this happening?

Also I am wondering about your statement that not all wires are in tension. The situation in the back is complicated and the wires are there only for aesthetic purposes, as the balcony columns apear here. Is this the area were you meant that the wire is not working?

Message 4 of 8
Rafacascudo

bars assigned with " tension only" property get Fx=N/A on "forces" table , when they " failed" to get in tension.

On this table window , select the lines that have N/A value for Fx and these bars will also be selected on the graphic window.

As this is a nonlinear analysis, only " self weight " case makes sense . For your cases with wind and snow ,etc you have at least to add the " self weight" to the load case or create a combination including the self weight load case.

Rafael Medeiros
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
mailingbot

I am using ULS load cases with dominant wind or snow. Each time I am also adding the self weight with coefficient of 1.35.

So I think the ULS combinations should be fine?

I just discovered that the self weight had roof weight but didnt have the selfweight robot component applied

Thats what I got after trying to select those with F/x = N/A, I dont really understand what is this,

but i still get the same error with incorrect releases for truss member. Do I have a truss memeber anyway? I am lost...

selection1.jpg

Message 6 of 8
mailingbot

I think after reading a bit through autodesk help I understand more.

SO what I understood is when I define the bars to be tension only, they become truss bars - and the program has already a built in definiton for it releases. I do no need to define them and if I define them I cause problems (The incorrect use of releases for a trusss member).

But I do not understand why I cannot define hinge at the end of vertical timber elements. I want to join them with wires - but the structure works only if I take away all releases.

With hinge at the end of verticals I get instability.

structure.jpg

Message 7 of 8
Rafacascudo

You don´t need to define a "hinge" at the end of the vertical bars because they´re connected to truss bars !!!! There will not be moments at this node!

Rafael Medeiros

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
mailingbot

Thank You for this answer. I am not really good at structures...

Then this means that my structure probably works. Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report