Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instability errors in model with no releases

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
PaulGrimes2282
925 Views, 9 Replies

Instability errors in model with no releases

I have a model which was created by a colleague of mine and i've now taken over. It was giving instability errors, and i could not get rid of them so i went through and deleted all the releases but i was still getting instabilities.

Is there any common reason that this might happen? If not would someone be able to have a look at the model and see if they can find any errors in it that might be causing this? I will upload it somewhere if so.

thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 3 of 10
Message 4 of 10

IN short - too many or wrong releases in some (many) nodes.

It will take me some  time to correct.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 5 of 10

Yes - i thought this might be the case. But when I removed all the releases I was still getting instability errors - is there some further underlying problem?

file with no releases:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/TEhYZm1kbThCMTd2WnRVag

Thanks for looking into it.

Message 6 of 10

Should I correct file with releases or not?

Rafal Gaweda
Message 7 of 10

I was still getting instability errors - is there some further underlying problem?

merge nodes 796 1402

Rafal Gaweda
Message 8 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Model corrected http://wtrns.fr/oZNEZn3anfttNz - check diagrams etc.

I have removed some releases, new releases added : PP  and Fixed Pinned no rx ; nodes merged.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 9 of 10

Hello, thanks for your help so far. However when I open your fixed model and run it – I get a warning that says ‘Matrix is not positive definite’. This suggests that the model is unstable? (see image below)

<error1.PNG>

If I run the analysis with the DSC Algorithm turned on then I am still getting unstable nodes where they should be stable. (see image below)

<error2.PNG>

Is there any reason why this would be happening for me, but the model runs cleanly for you?

Thanks!

Message 10 of 10

PaulGrimes2282 wrote:

Hello, thanks for your help so far. However when I open your fixed model and run it – I get a warning that says ‘Matrix is not positive definite’. This suggests that the model is unstable? (see image below)

Read the warning to the end ... check buckling.

Critical coeffs below 1 for nonlinear selfweight - check "upper branches of trees"

bucklingtrees.jpg

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report