Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving the speed ofmy computer (hp Z800 workstation)

45 REPLIES 45
Message 1 of 46
Refaat
2670 Views, 45 Replies

Improving the speed ofmy computer (hp Z800 workstation)

Dear Sir

Can you help me to improve the performance of my computer(the speed), where I am doing dynamic analysis for concrete tower using (200 mode) , the finite element size(1.00m) on the version (ARSApro2013), whereas the program takes more than (60 hours) until I can get the analysis results.

Knowing that my compture(hp Z800 workstation) specifications as attached.Although , I've developed  it from (6 GB RAM) to (48 GB RAM) and don’t note any improvement in performance (increased speed).And the graphics card specifications as following :

GV-R795WF3-3GD

AMD Radeon HD 7950/PCI-E 3.0

3072 MB GDDR5/384 bit

Could  you guide me how to increase the efficiency of the computer (increase speed) or what way I can get the results of the analysis faster than (60 hours)?

Thanks

Refaat

45 REPLIES 45
Message 41 of 46
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Refaat

In the attached file, I have calculated the required reinforcement for RC-Wall using (ACI318-08M), for first run without using the Amin , I found out that in the vertical reinforcement, the required steel area is less than the minimum ,after that I used in the second run Amin for finite elements, their steel area is less than minimum and greater than zero but I have noted that ROBOT used twice the steel area minimum for some finite elements .

This is what we see from your explanations and screen shots:

- capture1 - reinforcement without Amin - results displayed for elements where the reinforcement is calculated = required , 

- capcture2 - calulated with Amin - it seems everywhere you should use min reinforcement = 40cm2 but for some elemnts it is reported as 40 on one side (+ or -) or splited between two layers (20+ and 20-), why - we will check codebook and explain later.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 42 of 46
Refaat
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Dear Rafal

Explanation , I would like to thank you for your response  .But, actually  I am calculate the reinforcement for RC-WALLS using this way because I couldn't able to use RC-WALL module to calculate provided reinforcement since ROBOT always generate edge reinforcement for all cases using ACI318-08M ,but in some cases we don't need this "edge reinforcement )depended on the seismic zone . so, I hope in the next ROBOT version the developers will consider this point .

However ,

If you use the option " Minimum reinforcement  for the whole panel " you will find the Amin = 20 cm2/m . It means that ROBOT use Amin= 0.005x40x100 = 20 cm2/m for vertical reinforcement where wall thickness=40 cm.

But ,since I am designing RC-wall , the minimum reinforcement for vertical side as ACI318-08M ,clause 14.3.2 depended on "Fy ".for my case "Fy= 400 Mpa" then Amin=0.0015bh =0.0015x40x100=6cm2/m. It means not "40 cm2/m or 20 cm2/m"

Then , in my point of view , ROBOT should know firstly the panel is slab or wall because each one of them has a different  "Minimum reinforcement ".

Kindly , correct me if  my thinking is wrong . I am awaiting your confirmation.

Note : Attached is ACI-code page related to minimum reinforcement for RC-walls?

Message 43 of 46
Refaat

Dear Rafal

I would like to thank you for your response  .But, actually  I  calculated the reinforcement for RC-WALLS using this way because I am not able to use RC-WALL module to calculate provided reinforcement since ROBOT always generate edge reinforcement for all cases using ACI318-08M ,but in some cases we don't need this "edge reinforcement )depended on the seismic zone . so, I hope in the next ROBOT version the developers will consider this point .

However ,

If you use the option " Minimum reinforcement  for the whole panel " you will find the Amin = 20 cm2/m . It means that ROBOT use Amin= 0.005x40x100 = 20 cm2/m for vertical reinforcement where wall thickness=40 cm.

But ,since I am designing RC-wall , the minimum reinforcement for vertical side as ACI318-08M ,clause 14.3.2 depended on "Fy ".for my case "Fy= 400 Mpa" then Amin=0.0015bh =0.0015x40x100=6cm2/m. It means not "40 cm2/m or 20 cm2/m"

Then , in my point of view , ROBOT should know firstly the panel is slab or wall because each one of them has a different  "Minimum reinforcement ".

Kindly , correct  me if  my thinking is wrong . I am awaiting your confirmation.

Note : Attached is ACI-code page related to minimum reinforcement for RC-walls?

Thank you for your good cooperation

Refaat

Message 44 of 46
Rafal.Gaweda

It is being checked.

I will update this thread asap.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 45 of 46
Refaat
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Dear Rafal

Thanks for your interest

Refaat

Message 46 of 46
engrshafiq1

Dear Rafal

You can increase your computer speed by adding SSD (Solid state drives) into your system.with  Raid0 technology.

The science behind it ...... Since your model is big and the resulting stifness matrix file will also be big. Creating, writing and reading huge sized matrix files consueme too much time by normal hard disks as they are slow in reading and writing and go max upto 40MB/s .On the other hand SSD without raid0  go upto 400MB/s and with Raid 0 can it shoots upto 800MB/s. This makes a huge difference.

Your life will be easy if you upgrade your machine with a new SSD drive..

Good processor (i7 / Xeon max 3GHz) + SSD + 16 / 32 GB RAM is dream machne for Structural Engineers

Regards

Shafiq ur Rehman

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report