Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing panels from Rhino/Grasshoper to Robot

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
2267 Views, 8 Replies

Importing panels from Rhino/Grasshoper to Robot

Hi,

I'm having some trouble importing some rectangular surfaces from Rhino into Robot. I've exported them as .SAT files and they enter Robot as geometric objects ok, however I am then unable to convert them to panels with any thickness or calculation model settings. I've attached a screenshot of the problem I'm having

Thanks,

Matt

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Anonymous

Matt,

As far as I can see the selected object is actually a panel (see the Inspector). Could you send the rtd file with one of such objects?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 9
altiscad
in reply to: Anonymous

So, how you fixed the problem with importing? The problem is that in Inspector panels have no thickness and it cannot be defined.

Message 4 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: altiscad

Could you send a sample rtd file with such object?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 9
altiscad
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hi Artur!

I imported the SAT file. Then I defined plates using Thickness tool, not Panels tool. I don't want to use Panels because it may be very time consuming for large structures to hunt each contur.

If you look in tables, all plates seems to be OK. Only in Inspector are wrong and o course in the results.

Best Regards,

Gabi

Message 6 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski

Gabi,

The thickness is correctly assigned to panels which can be checked in the Panels table. The situation is that for ACIS panels that intersect in many places some of surface elements do not have assigned thickness at the stage of model generation. The solution is to select all surface elements that belong to a panel for which no material error is displayed and then create a new one from such list.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 9
altiscad
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hi Artur!

In my case is very hard to do this by hand. On each project I have hudred of such panels. I cannot select all and asign one time new panels. I tried to write a code to asign by API a new panel based on a selection of such geometry. The problem is that the geometry consists on edges only (no segments, no point etc). Do you see any other solution?

Here http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/Creation-of-Panel-with-FE-list-using-API/m-p... I asked for an example of code that might be helpful...

Thank you.

Gabi

Message 8 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski

At the moment I don't have any better solution but we are working on this.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 9

Improved in SP1 for Robot 2014.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report