Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import from CAD and others to Robot

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
sanjuan100
1339 Views, 17 Replies

Import from CAD and others to Robot

Hi there,

I need to create a large complex model of an indutrial facility in Robot.

I am thinking in doing this first in a different programme and later import this into Robot to analyze it.

The first questions I have would be:

1) It's a frame model so, I could build the lines say in Autocad, and create from this a Robot model.

2) How can I give properties to this lines so on when I import this in Robot it comes with the right section sizes, materials, ( even release properties?), etc.

Is there a way to link a table (in Excel maybe) with the section, materials, etc properties and a geometrical model?

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sanjuan100

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Create these lines in ASD Steel Smiley Happy

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 18

Hi Artur,

Thanks for your prompt response! However, I'm not familiarize with ASD, is there a different way of importing drawings that have attached properties to their elements?

Thank you.

Regards,

sanjuan100

Message 4 of 18
sanjuan100
in reply to: sanjuan100

Hello again,

in the lines of this discussion is there a way for a table import of the structural axis? For instance from a table created in Excel?

Thanks again!

sanjuan100

Message 5 of 18
Rafacascudo

ASD(autocad structural detailing) steel is just autocad on "Steelroids" !

Smiley Surprised

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 18
sanjuan100
in reply to: Rafacascudo

Thanks Rafacascudo,

but isn't it ASD a much more complete programme? Meaning whether it is model and detail a steel structure, producing shop/fabrication drawings, etc?

I don't understand what's the advantage of doing this in ASD to doing it in Robot from the beginning?

I've got to model a structure, which is large and has several section types and properties (rolled, welded, pinned/fixed connections, etc.) and needed to introduce this information in Robot in a efficient and organized manner to avoid errors and deal quickly with potential changes.

trying to keep it simple i was looking to create a wireframe dxf/dwg of the bars in autocad or similar and later give properties to this bars from a table in Excel? I guess this is sth that can be done independently (the wireframe and the table)?

On the other hand, is there a way of doing the structural axis without using the tool in Robot where you introduce them one by one?

Thank you very much,

sanjuan100

Message 7 of 18

For your objective you may use ASD Steel in the same way as  you work with AutoCAD. Just draw a line (in this case a center line of a selected profile shape) from its origin to its end locations. Then export the model to Robot where you can assign supports and releases. Both programs share the same section databases. 

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 18

One more opinion added to Artur's one.

With ASD you can create a bidirectional link between robot and asd.

I'm a strongly specialized in steel structures and I use always, with giant productivity, this workflow. It's absolutely the best way to share all the information between the calculation model and the detailing model. You can also use revit or inventor to share your model with robot, but it's not the same.

I think that ASD is a very powerful tool for steel structure with global weight less than 100 tons.

You have also the opportunity to transfert in ASD the steel connection calculated in Robot.

I'm very sad about the adsk politic line to leave asd dev and buy advance steel. I should have preferred to have an improved tool inside the suite with a mix of the two softwares.....

Good luck

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Structural + Detailing engineers
Message 9 of 18

Stefano ,

Why advance steel is not good with Robot. How do you compare the 2 softwares (advance steel and ASD) integration with Robot?

thx!

Rafael Medeiros
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 18
sanjuan100
in reply to: Rafacascudo

Thank you all,

but please could you reply to?

1) Is it possible to define a structural grid from excel table or similar? and how?

2) is it possible to introduce section properties using a method different to the bar sections tab?

All the above without using ASD please.

Regards,

sanjuan100

Message 11 of 18

Hi all,

in reply to sanjuan100,

1) the attached API via excel give you the opportunity to create structural axes via excel;

2) there are many ways to import your model, it depend by the size and the number of structural member. For example you can save many *.dxf files, one for cross section type and import one by one in robot and then join them. Or you can save only one *.dxf layered by cross section and move all the layers of (for example) 100mm, import this model in robot, assign to the uniform zones the cross section and then move the bars in the correct position....All it depend by the composition of your model...if you share the cad model we can give you more suggestions.

Hi Rafacascudo,

my opinion about Advance Steel is not bad, but the productivity between Robot and ASD is not replaceable, when you set ASD in the right way it become a very powerful tool to work. I agree with you that Advance Steel is much better than ASD (...specially for large models...) but with it you can't make the "same sharing" that you have with ASD.Smiley Sad

After years I've very well learned ASD and now I really appreciate it!!!

Greetings at all

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Message 12 of 18

Double thx! nice API !!

Rafael Medeiros

EESignature

Message 13 of 18

This is basic question now:

To import dxf/dwg files, this needs to be done from the "open" menu right? But everytime you "open" a dxf/dwg it creates a new file. Can't you not add from dxf/dwg?

Stefano,

Thanks very much for your response and for the API. I can't send a CAD model through since this is a structure done 30 years ago, drawing are not done using CAD but hand made 😮

Message 14 of 18
sanjuan100

Re ASD, I've got several section sizes from standard european and british UC, to fabricated I sections and girders and most complicated in the model - column sections with additional cover plates..

is this something I can easily do/introduce in the programme ASD?

Thanks a lot,

sanjuan100

Message 15 of 18

If you save them in the Robot user section database you will be able to use them in ASD Steel too (meaning you can use them in ASD and have them recognized in Robot when you export a model from ASD to Robot). Standard sections such as UC or European are available by 'default'. 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 16 of 18
pipiyedu
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

There is a way to export a file from Advance Concrete to Robot ?

Message 17 of 18

HI

I think that the answer is NO.

Greetings

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Message 18 of 18

hi Stefano & All,

Using the AddIn for grid generation I'm seeing the API considers the units of the spreadsheet in 'm' and converts them to whatever you have in the model ('ft' in my case).

Is this correct? is there a way to change it? I'd like to introduce values in my project units if this is possible.

Regards,

sanjuan100

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report