Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hydrostatic pressure resultant forces

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
OscarGaunt
2022 Views, 9 Replies

Hydrostatic pressure resultant forces

If a hydosatic pressure is applied to a panel that is on an incline does it apply the resultant force that would be perpendicular to the plate or would it just apply the corresponding depth. 

i.e. if the base of the panel below is 2m below the water level is the force being applied at the base; the resultant of the horizontal and vertical or just simply 20 kN/m^2?

Thank you for your time

hydro pressure.png

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

The hydrostatic load is applied in the direction that is perpendicular to a surface element.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 10

thank you for the quick response but I ust need to clarify something.

I understand the pressure is applied perpendicular to the surface of the panel, but my query is whether the force that is applied would be the same force as if the panel was vertical?

i.e. the pressure applied perpendicular to the face would be different at the same depths if their faces are at different angles.

Message 4 of 10

No, for the inclined panel there are additional vertical reactions (in addition to 'the same' horizontal one).

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 10

Does this mean that this additional vertical reaction needs to be entered manually? (automatic hydrostatic pressure load does not work for inclined panels?) 

Thank you

Message 6 of 10

No, this means that  hydrostatic pressure works as hydrostatic pressure with no need for any other 'manual' actions Smiley Happy

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 10

Artur,

Could you have a look at this test model I made? I can't make water pressure work correctly (unless I am making a mistake somewhere in my assumptions).

I have created 4 panels with different types of loading:

water load test.jpgAll panels have the same angle and geometry:

water load test2.jpgPanel 1 has an automatic water pressure applied:

water load test3.jpg

Panel 2 has two load resultants applied in vertical and horizontal directions each equal of 19.6kN/m2 (water pressure at 2m deep), panel 3 has  only one variable load which is 19.6kN/m2 (vertical water pressure only) perpendicular to the panel plane. Panel 4 has a resultant of water pressure forces in both directions:

water load test5.jpgReactions for all four panels with different loadings are shown below:

water load test6.jpg

My understanding is that the correct results are given for panels 2 and 4 as water pressure acts in both vertical and horizontal directions. And it seems that automatic water pressure tool for inlclined panels in robot only takes one component of water pressure and applies it perpendicular to the plane (results for panel 1 match panel 3) which gives us less conservative/incorrect results. 

Am I missing something here ? 

Thanks

Message 8 of 10
vmorkunas
in reply to: vmorkunas

And how do I attach the rtd file in this forum ? 🙂 it is not on the allowed list of attachment extensions. Is it putting in online every time and creating a link?

Message 9 of 10

Zip it.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 10 of 10

Assuming that the direction of the gravity is vertical regardless of the panel's inclination the values of horizontal reactions should be the same. For 2 m panel of 1 m width this should be always:

Total horizontal force Fh = 0.5 * (9.81 *  2) * 2 = 16.92

The top horizontal reactions should be 1/3 * 16.92 = 6.54

The bottom horizontal reaction should be 2/3 * 16.92 = 13.08

For the 45 deg inclination the total value of the pressure in the direction perpendicular to the panel is:

Fp = 0.5 * (9.81 *  2) * 2*sqrt2 = 27.66

The top reaction in the direction perpendicular to the panel is:

1/3* 27.66 = 9.22

The bottom is 2/3*27.66 = 18.44

The vertical and horizontal components are : 9.22/sqrt2 = 6.54 and 18.44/sqrt2 = 13.08 respectively

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report