Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to show fully braced beam for AISC beam design

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
bjur
1595 Views, 4 Replies

How to show fully braced beam for AISC beam design

Attached is a simple frame where I wanted to verify the different unbraced settings in Robot and their effect on the moment capacity.  I can't seam to get the beam to show the moment capacity for a fully braced beam.  Attached are hand calcs vs the results that Robot gives me.  I can't seam to get the unbraced length for the beam to show up as 0ft.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: bjur

ltbaisc.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 5
bjur
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Thank you again.  However I think this was a bad example on my part.  Attached is a better example showing the same beam W18x50 under simple loading.  If I set the bracing for the top of the beam to the "X" (which is displayed as None), the beam is calculated for an unbraced length of 10ft.  I was under the impression that the "X" means it's fully braced.  If I set the unbraced length to 0ft manually as shown in the second picture, I get the expected results.  Why does the "X" result in different values than manually setting the top flange bracing to 0ft?  I might be missunderstanding the meaning of the "X"

Message 4 of 5
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: bjur

Indeed X should work as 0ft. I have asked the development team to investigate this situation. Thank you for informing us about this issue.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 5

The results for Robot 2015 SP3 for both settings are the same.

LTB X.PNG

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums