Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to model masonry load bearing walls?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
bvk.architecture
3279 Views, 5 Replies

How to model masonry load bearing walls?

Hello,

I would like to model the load bearing masonry walls so that the loads of the above floors they are supporting will be automatically transferred to the floors/beams on which they are located.

Any suggestions? (Claddings? Panels? Walls?)

Thanks a lot for any advice!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Could you make the sketch of the part of a structure you want to model and indicated the intended force transfer? 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 6

Hi Artur,

attached a sketch which hopefully clarifies my intentions.

Thanks a lot!

Message 4 of 6

I don´t think that claddings will transfer the loads from the upper floor to the slab. I think that the best option is to use a wall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The most powerful force on the universe is compound interest.”
Subscribe me on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6G8OOp318Z1MFzJj5T8uWw
Message 5 of 6

IMHO if you define a 'standard' panel it should be work for the model as on the attached picture as there is not going to be any tension in this wall anyway. You may also consider assigning it an orthotropic thickness with very low stiffness in the horizontal direction. 

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 6

You may also consider assigning it an orthotropic thickness with very low stiffness in the horizontal direction.

@Artur.Kosakowski you should only consider doing this if you have the desire for the CMU wall not to work as shear wall, right?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report