Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Assign Base Plate to Column

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
Sambrook
3052 Views, 21 Replies

How to Assign Base Plate to Column

Hi,

I have designed my base plate in connection designer but I cannot work out how to assign that base plate design to my actual columns within my structure.

I'm obviously pretty new to Robot so apologies for the simplicity of this query.

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Sambrook

In Robot bar elements are just lines with assigned properties such as e.g. section type. The program is not intended for steel detailing and the connection details are not shown on the structure model itself. On the other hand you can export the model with defined connections to ASD Steel for detailing.

http://usa.autodesk.com/autocad-structural-detailing/

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 22
chiper.shriper

I am also wondering how to assign a connection to a specific component?

Or it's not important to assign connection if I then want to export it to a detailing program?

Message 4 of 22

I'm not sure if I understand the question. What do you mean by a component? Bars or nodes of a model?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 22
dimogrec

Sambrook to assign a connection (base plate) to a specific column you need first to select the column and the base node and then click the button in the picture.

column_base.jpg

Message 6 of 22
Ievgen
in reply to: dimogrec

By doing this an additional connection is created in a steel connection list rather than existing being assigned.
Message 7 of 22
dimogrec
in reply to: Ievgen

Exactly.

I don't really know if there is a way in robot to assign an existing connection to a part of the structure (member, beam column, node or whatever).

I mean I don't think there's a way to first generate a connection without selecting the relative members of the structure and then assign this connection to a column or beam..

Message 8 of 22
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: dimogrec

I don't really know if there is a way in robot to assign an existing connection to a part of the structure (member, beam column, node or whatever).

I mean I don't think there's a way to first generate a connection without selecting the relative members of the structure and then assign this connection to a column or beam.

There is not but you can copy a connection created for selected bars of a model to another selection.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 22
ikoleci

After defining the connection, try saving from the connection properties dialog using File->Save As. Give it a unique name and then use it as a connection template.

If you want to assign this to a new connection use File->Open

Message 10 of 22
STGT
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hi, I dont know why getting this message when try to create a new foundation connection at node 3 (bottom of bar 98) ?

Message 11 of 22
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: STGT

The shape of a column should be one of these sections:

pinned base.PNG

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 12 of 22
STGT

My column is HEB 450 (I section) - what's wrong then?

Message 13 of 22
Artur.Kosakowski

Attach the model please. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 14 of 22
STGT

Message 15 of 22
Artur.Kosakowski

Make sure you selected both the column and the node.

base connection.png

Artur Kosakowski
Message 16 of 22
STGT

Ok, thank you. Where is accept button for marking the post as answered?

Message 17 of 22
Artur.Kosakowski

accept as solution1.PNG

Artur Kosakowski
Message 18 of 22
STGT

But I don't have it on my screen?

Message 19 of 22
Artur.Kosakowski

Is this for all browsers?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 20 of 22
STGT

yes

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report