Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homogenous verus orthotropic floor

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
lkj-17
260 Views, 1 Reply

Homogenous verus orthotropic floor

Hi Guys,

I have a podium slab that to support 5 stories steel containers that is part of the building. The slab is commerical tray deck with concrete topping that land on heavy steel beams and columns (gridline like). 

I initially modelled the slab as a homogenous plate with a constant thickness, then apply exaggerated area loads to the slab and point loads to the steel beams. In this case, I got about combined deflection 18mm in my transverse beams, which is fine by SLS deflection checking (8.5m span/400=21mm).

However, after I start to try orthotropic floor with trapezium tray deck, the analysis come out about near 30mm deflections on my heavy beams.

I did tried to verify the results by other software as below,

• apply equivalent loadings to a transeverse beam and I got 11mm deflection.
  • then one longitudinal beam will pick up two transeverse beam in equal distance.
  • after I import two reactions to longitudinal beam I got 12mm deflection for the longi beam.

Therefore, my combined deflection for mid point of transeverse beam is 11+12/3=15mm

This simple analysis suggest previous model was correct.

Is any one can tell me should I trust homogeous plate more or orthotropic floor more?

If the orthotropic floor is correct then both trans and long floor beam have to upgrated to a deeper member.

Right now i got 600mm deep long beam with 40mm flange and 32mm web. Can't really go 800mm as floor height restrictions.

Cheers 

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
t.sautierr
in reply to: lkj-17

model please

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report