Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hollow Sections Column-Beam Connections

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
JBogger
8891 Views, 14 Replies

Hollow Sections Column-Beam Connections

Hi,

Is it possible to use a steel hollow section as the beam member when designing a column-beam connection in Robot Structural Analysis 2012 Pro?

According to online user guide (link below), hollow sections seem to only be available for column members of base connections.

http://docs.autodesk.com/RSA/2012/ENU/filesROBOT/GUID-435C42C0-C4E8-4970-B78E-A52E21B08C6-1058.htm

Any help is much appreicated,

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: JBogger

No, this is not possible. The easiest way of checking the available section types for particular connection is to check which of the parametric section icons are not grayed out as shown on the attached picture.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 15
JBogger
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hi Artur,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. That's a pity. Was hoping for some work around.

Possible future feature!

Thanks again,

James.

Message 4 of 15
rokasnow

hello

I am interested in designing a steel connection with a double H profile. It's for a base column.

I don't have it available on robot, i can only design a I profile or a tube.

Neither the user defined compound won't work.

What should i do ?

Thank you

Ruxandra

Message 5 of 15
rokasnow

Hello

I need to calculate a base plate for a steel column a double HEB

It is not availabe in the section selection.

Is there any possibility to have this calcul done ?

Thank you

Message 6 of 15
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: rokasnow

With such section not being supported you may try to use the user defined structural tube and stiffeners instead if this is acceptable for you.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 15
sampath.kumar

Hi,

I am looking for connection design for HSS column to W section BEam. However in the Robot I am not able to find the HSS section for column. I have attached screen shot of the database for columns available in Robot . So can you please help me out

Message 8 of 15

For this connection type structural tubes are not supported.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 15

Thank you fro the reply, but in our stores we work with same conditions. column (HSS) to Beam (Wsec). so can you plase let me know if in case we have to use HSS column do we have database fo rthe same in robot ? Thanks Sampath
Message 10 of 15

Hi,

I have attached scenorio for the HSS column to W Beam section. can you please help me out in steel connection for the same.

Thanks,

Sampath

Message 11 of 15

You can use structural tubes as profiles for beams and columns but they are not supported for the connection type you would like to use.

rectangular tubes.PNG

Artur Kosakowski
Message 12 of 15

Thank you for the support,

i tried doing that but i am unable to click on the different shapes. I have attached screen shot of the issue

Message 13 of 15

Apparently I haven't managed to state that clearly enough. You can use both types of profiles in the model (see the attached picture) but structural tubes (HSS) are not supported in the connection module of Robot for beam to column web connection so you cannot select them from the connection definition dialog.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 14 of 15
sor2007

Arthur,  i  saw users observation regarding  Hollow section column and I beams  connection in robot . I m aware that   robot cant support these types of connections. instead  Advance streel opnce  exported the analysies output and model from robot can perform   the connections that Robot cant  support? in office we  are planning to aquire Advance steel.

1.I already installed Advanced steel  using Autodesk community  licence but the ADVANCE REVIT STEEL EXTENSION  after installing it DOES NOT   appear AS PLUG-IN in Revit.

2.In the meantime any tip you can give to speed up the hollow section colum to I beam  connection  production drawing?

I m aware  we can "cheat"  in Revit  a bit but still time consuming.

Thanks,

Ernesto Cornwall

Message 15 of 15
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: sor2007

You can export RSA model to AS along with calculated forces in the way shown on this movie:

Then you can design connections for these forces in AS:

AS steel connections.PNG

The RST to AS link can be downloaded from:

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3Aadvancesteel2016ex...

2.In the meantime any tip you can give to speed up the hollow section colum to I beam  connection  production drawing?

I'm not sure which program you want to use for generation of these drawings but assuming that it is either AS or Revit I'd suggest posting your question on their dedicated forums instead. 

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report