Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global analysis with tapered section

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
FilRib
321 Views, 1 Reply

Global analysis with tapered section

Hi,

I'm using tapered sections in my project and when i make the member verification i get the following warning:

Nota.JPG

Does it mean that the deflections of this members is calculated has if i had a constant cross-section with the midsection of my original one? I have made a comparison model with 3 cases:

Modelos.JPG

1st - Structure made with constant section profiles.

2nd - Structure made with tapered section profiles with 5 division per element.

3rd - Structure made with tapered section profiles - Just 1 profile per element.

The results are the same for 2nd and 3rd models but in the first one i get diferent results. (6% more deflection)

In my understanding if the software uses the midsection moment of inercia, the results should be the same in the 1st and 2nd cases, right? 

Thanks in advance!

FR

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: FilRib

1st - Structure made with constant section profiles.

Such member is a little bit differently treated than tapered. In fact weighted average is considered (lenght of every member is taken into account for average calculations) for such profile so the small difference may appear - 6% - I think reasonable difference.

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report