Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force Slabs to Span One-Way

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
RoboExploiter
7196 Views, 12 Replies

Force Slabs to Span One-Way

Hi Guys,

I am attempting to force some of the panels in my model (see pdf) to span transveresly one-way.

I changed the panel calculation model to match the intent, and I changed the X axis of each panel to match the one-way span.

http://docs.autodesk.com/RSA/2012/ENU/filesROBOT/GUID-F57A58F9-81AA-4410-84EA-6BFFD83D115-214.htm

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/Floors-span-direction/m-p/3349655/highlight/...

• Finite Element Type: Shell  ( I need to know the BM and Shear and axial forces in the slabs)
  • Rigid connection of nodes for the slab - diaphragm-stiffened - Full Stiffening  (I wanted slab diaphragm actions to limit effects of horizontal forces)
  • Transfer of loads - simplified - One Way   (Slabs were originally designed to span continuously transveresly one-way and therefore contain a greater amount of reinforcing in the transverse direction)

I tried to verify the model, but got these errors: 

"Forbidden use of a compatible node or a support in a slave node of the rigid link".  Which affected all the nodes around the one-way slabs I defined.

"The load has not been distributed correctl | there are no objects that carry the load"

Changing the slabs back to Panel calculations model default "Shells" didn't fix the problems.

At some point I also changed the vertical panels with linear releases to diaphragm action, again to limit effects of horizontal forces.   But changed the setting back to "Rigid connection of nodes for the slab - Without Stiffening" after getting the error "incorrect panel calculation model" (see pdf).

What panel calculation model settings should I select to get the indicated slabs continuously spanning one way?

Can I have the vertical panels with linear releases providing stiffness transversely?

Are the vertical panels with linear releases affecting the one-way spanning slabs?

As you probably guessed, this is a development from yesterdays post.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/Panels-with-Linear-Releases-Create-Isolated-...

I've sent a message to Autodesk strucutral support with the problem model.

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Andrew,

while waiting for the file please use updated robot version. Please install all available SPs.

(It will not solve all your problems \ questions but it helps Smiley Happy).

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 13
tony.ridley
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

• Finite Element Type: Shell  ( I need to know the BM and Shear and axial forces in the slabs)
  • Rigid connection of nodes for the slab - diaphragm-stiffened - Full Stiffening  (I wanted slab diaphragm actions to limit effects of horizontal forces)
  • Transfer of loads - simplified - One Way   (Slabs were originally designed to span continuously transveresly one-way and therefore contain a greater amount of reinforcing in the transverse direction)

With full stiffened diaphragm you won't see bending or shear in your slab I think.  Full stiffening means parts of slab cannot deflect relative to another therefore no bending.  Just use flexible stiffening

You are probably not getting the panel to work because is it's spanning one direction only but there are no supports on at least one side of those slabs (in either x or y direction) so where can the load transfer to?

What panel calculation model settings should I select to get the indicated slabs continuously spanning one way?

Use an orthotropic slab to make the slab truly one way spanning.

Can I have the vertical panels with linear releases providing stiffness transversely?

Vertical panels will still act as stiffeners for lateral loads

Tony

Message 4 of 13

Rafal will have a look at your file but I think that in the typical situations you can try to mesh panels and use the thickness definition shown below:

uni slab.PNG

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 13

Andrew
"Forbidden use of a compatible node or a support in a slave node of the rigid link".  Which affected all the nodes around the one-way slabs I defined.

Use RLINKS

rlinks.jpg

"The load has not been distributed correctl | there are no objects that carry the load"

I do not see this warning message, Have you generated model before running verification ?

Changing the slabs back to Panel calculations model default "Shells" didn't fix the problems.

Have you generated model before running verification ?

At some point I also changed the vertical panels with linear releases to diaphragm action, again to limit effects of horizontal forces.   But changed the setting back to "Rigid connection of nodes for the slab - Without Stiffening" after getting the error "incorrect panel calculation model" (see pdf).

http://docs.autodesk.com/RSA/2012/ENU/filesROBOT/GUID-F57A58F9-81AA-4410-84EA-6BFFD83D115-214.htm  -> Note: Diaphragms can be generated only on horizontal panels in the XY plane.

Are the vertical panels with linear releases affecting the one-way spanning slabs?

Answered by Tony and Artur above

Rafal Gaweda
Message 6 of 13
Romanich

Artur, Rafal - can you create development request to remove this limitation for diaphragms ( only on horizontal panels in the XY plane) ?

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Roman Zhelezniak

Robot Evangelist & Passionate Civil Structural Engineer

LinkedIn | Robot & Хобот | App Store for Robot
EESignature

Message 7 of 13
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Romanich

Which limitation?

Forbidden  use of supports in slave nodes ?

Rafal Gaweda
Message 8 of 13
Romanich

Note: Diaphragms can be generated only on horizontal panels in the XY plane.

Roman Zhelezniak

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
Rafal.Gaweda

Rigid links are defined using global directions so it is not possible to correctly define "diaphragm" on inclined plates, walls in different planes than parralell to ZX ZY global planes.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 10 of 13
tony.ridley

Romanich,  could you not just bump up membrane stiffness using user defined stiffness matrix to replicate this effect?  

Message 11 of 13
Romanich
in reply to: tony.ridley

Rafal, I'm understood. Too bad, but..

Tony, in this case (with bump up) we obtain error. Please, read paper by Ed Wilson.

Roman Zhelezniak

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
RoboExploiter

"With full stiffened diaphragm you won't see bending or shear in your slab I think.  Full stiffening means parts of slab cannot deflect relative to another therefore no bending.  Just use flexible stiffening"

OK.  I tried your suggestion, but the results didn't look correct.  I've now made them all default shells.

"You are probably not getting the panel to work because is it's spanning one direction only but there are no supports on at least one side of those slabs (in either x or y direction) so where can the load transfer to?"

The slab is supported on all edges.  I attached a screenshot not displaying the supports.

"Forbidden use of a compatible node or a support in a slave node of the rigid link"

Using RLinks has solved this problem, but i don't understand why.  Rafal, can you elaborate on what that error means?

"Diaphragms can be generated only on horizontal panels in the XY plane.".  

Noted.

I was unable to replicate the load distribution error.  Must have something to do with the model generation.

Artur, thanks for the advice on orthotropic slabs.  Now I just have to  decide on realisitc stiffness coefficients to account for the steel reinforcing in each direction.

Cheers.

Message 13 of 13

Using RLinks has solved this problem, but i don't understand why.  Rafal, can you elaborate on what that error means?

http://docs.autodesk.com/RSA/2013/ENU/filesROBOT/GUID-331BE2BD-5672-40EA-A6B5-D4420E78F379.htm

http://docs.autodesk.com/RSA/2013/ENU/filesROBOT/GUID-88C4C842-5D90-4E85-8F8C-D47D6E474E29.htm?highl...

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report