Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexible end plate design

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1372 Views, 10 Replies

Flexible end plate design

Is it possible to design flexible end plate connections (shear and tension for beam to column and beam to beam) using Robot? End plates are one of the most common connections in the UK and I find it very surprising that they are missing from a comprehensive design package as Robot.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. Do you mean that you would like to have the option to create from the model the already existing beam to column with end plate connection type in  a situation where there is a release defined at the end of the beam (at the point it connects with a column)?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hi,

What I meant was that I would like to make a new connection using the steel connection module for a beam to beam pinned (shear and tension) connection using a flexible end plate. There is an option to use angle cleats, fin and stiffener plates but no flexible end plates.

I hope that this clarifies my question a bit.

Cheers,

Andrew
Message 4 of 11
dimogrec

Artur what andrew is saying is that he would like to have this  type ofconnection in Robot.

flex_end_plate.jpg

Message 5 of 11
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: dimogrec

flx end plate.PNG

One of the three is available. For the other two could you indicate the reference for checking the capacity of the column's or main beam's webs against tension force in the secondary beam? Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 11
dimogrec

Artur wrote  One of the three is available

yes it works, using the "frame knee" connection type and adding manualy only shear force, although the result text is a little bit poor...

A very good reference for simple connections is the green book from sci  Smiley Wink

http://www.steelconstruction.info/index.php?title=Special:ImagePage&t=SCI+P358.pdf&internal_link=1

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Artur,

Thanks for your reply. I tried the knee connection but it is meant for the moment loads. If you just use shear and tension the system will check each bolt row for bending and tension anyway. It would look incompetent to me if I sent a calcs like that to a client. I use the green book and BS 5950 for designing all the connections. I have got spreadsheets and other software to do it but my point is that when you pay serious amount of money for Robot you should not need to do such a simple calculations yourself. Flexible end plates are in my opinion one of the most common pinned connections in the UK (if not the most). I am very disappointed that Autodesk did not include that in the new 2015 version.

Cheers,

Message 8 of 11
Artur.Kosakowski

Andrew,

As you know BS is currently not supported in the connection module. Based on your suggestion I'd like to add this connection type to the wish list for the next versions of Robot but prior to doing so I'd like to find out the reference for checking tension force resistance based on EC3 provisions (the code that is supported in the steel connection module of Robot). My main point of interest is the check of the main element web capacity.  Is this covered in the green book?

Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Artur,

Yes that check is covered by the green book. See attached pictures. I hope you can add those connections to the package. Another thing which could be quite interesting would be a moment beam to beam (web) connection. At the moment I am using the modified beam to column model to represent it but having a dedicated beam to beam module would make it much cleaner.

Cheers,

Andrew
Message 10 of 11
Artur.Kosakowski

Could you insert the missing pictures ? Smiley Happy

Artur Kosakowski
Message 11 of 11
O.Maille

Any update on this since? poor that such a standard detail is ignored. green book for you;

http://www.steelconstruction.info/File:SCI_P358.pdf?internal_link

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report