Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Request - Members to Plate Elements

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
bjur
1976 Views, 3 Replies

Feature Request - Members to Plate Elements

It would be really slick if there was a way to convert bar members to built up elements made from plates or panels.  I was playing around with doing a base plate design in Robot and in order to transfer the loads from the column into the base plate, I needed to model the column as plates with the correct flange and web thicknesses.  Would it be reasonable to consider this as a feature request.  I can think of all sorts of uses for it.  

1.  Base plate design with random bolt locations or off set member locations on the plate.

2.  Modeling panel zone deformation in moment connections.

3.  Modeling additional drift due to Reduced Beam Section (RBS) moment connections.

4.  Checking affects of holes in steel members.

5.  Checking affects of stiffners in steel members.

6.  Any other situation where the physical geometry of the member would be needed instead of just the members analytical properties.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: bjur

Into shells (panels) or solids? How accurate your analysis (and the geometry of a profile) has to be? What if you have an end plate at the end of a beam which is bolted (or welded) to a column flange - would you still model this as a shell model?

So, two requests - convert into a shell and into a solid?  Smiley Happy

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 4
bjur
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Seams for normal steel shapes, a panel would work fine.  I would then add a panel to represent the base plate and account for the hole locations with supports.  The plate could be assigned a compression only support condition.  

Message 4 of 4
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: bjur

The corresponding request has been created.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report