Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error after updating Revit model from Robot

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
AlexDT
1166 Views, 8 Replies

Error after updating Revit model from Robot

Hi!

I selected a part of my model to export to Robot, there I wanted to finetune my analyticalfloorslab (it is sticking out see naamloos1.jpg).

After editting the slab in Robot I want to update het back to Revit, but it gives me this message that nothing is updated :S (Naamloos2.jpg).

It is really frustrating! I dont know what the problem is. Can somebody help me out?

Im using Revit Structure 2012 and Robot 2012

Alex

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: AlexDT

In the current version of the link it is assumed that the modification of a slab defined in Revit has to be done in Revit as well. There are two possible solution:

1. Modify the slab in Revit after updating the model from Robot

2. After exporting the model to Robot

- modify the slab

- copy this slab e.g. 10 m above the original one

- delete the original one

- move the copied slab to the position of the original one

- update model in Revit (new objects are 'added' to the Revit model)

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 9
AlexDT
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Thanks for your reply Artur.

I tried what you suggested and I didnt get the error this time, but the analytical plane remains unchanged!? Man Sad

It looks like Revit is forcing the plane to be the way it is now. I had the borders on auto-detect and changed it to projection, but that didnt make a change. I'm clueless!

Message 4 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski

The illustration of the proposed workflow after the change of the geometry in Robot.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 9
AlexDT

Bless you for your effort man, thanks!

I did the copying in Revit instead of in Robot. I now did as you explained and sort of got it to work.

Analytical it is fine, BUT the physical model shouldnt have changed.

I know it can be done as it is the almost the rule that the analytical and physical model differ.

Message 6 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski

Such behavior is not possible within the workflow I proposed (use of a new object created in Robot instead of the 'old' one from Revit) and currently the change of the analytical model of the existing 'architectural' object should be done in Revit instead. Could you send me your Revit file for some tests I'm planning to do in the future please?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 9
AlexDT

Ok, I shouldn't be doing it this way then. I can then conclude that the Robot file and the Revit file eventually need to be seperated and updates need to be done in 2 files.

Too bad, because that means that the integration is useless at this stage!

Thanks Artur.

ps. this file is company property. What are you planning on doing with it? I might be able to send you a linked->bind version.... is that usable for you?

Message 8 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski

Ok, I shouldn't be doing it this way then. I can then conclude that the Robot file and the Revit file eventually need to be seperated and updates need to be done in 2 files.

There is no need for two files but what you should do is (knowing the size of the 'analytical' slab you need in Revit from the analysis in Robot) to make such change in Revit manually using e.g. named reference plane. In this way you can change the position of one of the edges of the analytical model of the slab in Revit which I assume is what you intend by updating the model from Robot.

Too bad, because that means that the integration is useless at this stage!

If you export such modified analytical model to Robot the slab will be of the size of its analytical representation in Revit and when you update the model in Revit its 'architectural' model will not be changed.

ps. this file is company property. What are you planning on doing with it? I might be able to send you a linked->bind version.... is that usable for you?

The aim is to make this job easier in the future. In fact I'm not interested in any additional information that you may have in the file but just the 'architectural' geometry of the structure, its analytical representation initially defined for this architectural model as well as information how the analytical model is to be changed (how it should finally look like) assuming that the architectural shape stays as it was originally created. It can be just an entirely new model build in similar way to the one you tried to edit from Robot (walls and slabs only). 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 9
AlexDT

I never thought of aligning walls, beams and columns to reference planes or grids! This gives me more control! Furthermore I found this link.

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/09/adjusting-the-horizontal-projection-of-a-structural...

Now I can even adjust the flooredges! This all helps alot!!!

I've uploaded the file. But it is still a mess. Analytically it went beserk I guess haha.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report