Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6
callumdkerr
482 Views, 5 Replies

Embedded Steel

I am looking at embedding asteel beam within a concrete shear wall. Is there a way to do this in Robot to compare to a simplified strut and tie model. Do you have to use volumetric analysis with it or can you use the a shear wall 2d model. Do I need to define an interaction between steel and concrete to model this?

Thanks in advance,

Callum

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Perhaps it would be enough to model a wall as  a panel (Shell model) and then define a bar element (beam) inside it. The connection between the wall and the beam is by common nodes generated along the bar element during wall meshing.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 6
MokshdaB
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hello! I am relatively new to Robot and  have a similar problem in that I am trying to model steel ground anchors in a concrete slab. I have modelled the anchors as bars first and then modelled the surrounding concrete (contour-panel-extrude). Please could you advise on the most appropriate way to model the steel-concrete interface? Thank you

Message 4 of 6
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: MokshdaB

As there are no contact elements in Robot the force transfer between a bar element and surface or solid ones is to be done by their common nodes. You need to mesh solid or shell in such a way that  you have nodes of solid or surface elements generated along the bar.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 6
MokshdaB
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Thank you. How do you ensure the bar and solid to have common nodes? I have tried using emitters at my nodes along the bars but it's not working very well.

Message 6 of 6
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: MokshdaB

At the level of the contour that you want to extrude define a node that have the same coordinates as the bar. When you mesh it the mesh will snap to these node. If you make the extrusion the new nodes will be generated along the bar line.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report