Discussion Groups

Robot Structural Analysis

Valued Contributor
bjornhgr

Editing load cases in excel? API?

1710 Views, 26 Replies
02-06-2012 11:35 PM

In order to create envelope diagrams, I'm about to create separate load cases for each span of a 30-span bridge and both symmetric and asymmetric loads. Is there a way to edit the load cases i excel, or do I have to create them all in Robot?

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Valued Mentor
tony.ridley

Re: Editing load cases in excel?

02-07-2012 12:05 AM in reply to: bjornhgr

You could do it in excel then export the cells to a text file.  If you rename the file as Robot text file (.str), then you can import it.  

The text file would probably look like this.................you could automate that easily in excel

COMbination # 150 1.2DL + 0.4LL [PLAT] + 1.2LL [EQUIP] + 1.0 WIND [Z]
 ULS
10 1.2 20 0.4 30 1 21 1.2 2 1.2 1 1.2 

COMbination # 160 1.2DL + 0.4LL [PLAT] + 1.2LL [EQUIP] + 1.0 WIND [X]
 ULS
10 1.2 20 0.4 31 1 21 1.2 2 1.2 1 1.2 

The API guru's probably know a better way to do it though........ :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
bjornhgr

02-07-2012 12:15 AM in reply to: tony.ridley

Thanks. I'm not sure if we're talking about the same though. You seem to be listing load combinations whereas I'm working on load cases and Robot's "Load Types" dialog box (see image). Is your method still relevant? If so, where do I find the import function for *.str files?

Please use plain text.
Valued Mentor
tony.ridley

02-07-2012 12:25 AM in reply to: bjornhgr

well, the same would apply.

I'd save an existing Robot file as .str so you get the format.  Then you can add your load cases......I've used the method a few times

eg....

LOAds

CASe # 1 DEAD LOAD
SELf-weight
	1to30 

CASe # 2 SDL

etc etc

Then you can insert.....

Document1.jpg

Please use plain text.
Product Support
Rafal.Gaweda

02-13-2012 04:54 AM in reply to: bjornhgr

Bjorn,

Some explanations:

Using Excell without VBA

- not possible to create simple case by ordinary copying by clipboard contents of excel file to robot Loads table

- possible to add \ modify loads to existing load cases by copying by clipboard (of course cells data \ order should be the same as in robot Loads table \ Edition tab ; keep in mind that some excell cells may need to have cells format Numerical instead of General)

loadsfromex.jpg

- possible to create combinations this way but without controlling its number ; modification possible

combfromexc.jpg

Using Excell WITH VBA

- you can do whatever you want if you write small macro

I am attaching simple macro to create (not modify - to do so it is needed to add some code to macro) Simple cases  - Basic tab in attached Excel file

There is another macro on Combinations tab where you can define (not modify - to do so it is needed to add some code to macro) combinations and then generate them in Robot basing on cases from Basic tab. In this file as a default 20 cases can be used , if you need more cases - add more columns and specify correctly data in cells in row 4

STR File:

If you want to play with it (NOTE: not all kind of loads are supported by this format for eg panel \ countour loads) :

- syntax described here : "c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Structural\Help\2012\R97mod01.doc"  ;

some str file examples can be found here: c:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Examples\Example.001 

Rafal Gaweda
Please use plain text.
Product Support
Rafal.Gaweda

02-13-2012 07:56 AM in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Small modifications in macros codes to enable modification of existing cases \ combinations.

Excel file attached.

Rafal Gaweda
Please use plain text.
Valued Mentor
tony.ridley

02-14-2012 05:46 PM in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Rafal,

As always your spreadsheets are awesome and super helpful.  

BUT:  I trialled the combination modification one last night.  I had 20 or so combinations already in my model.  There is no button on the spreadsheet to import to excel the EXISTING cases / combinations.  So I cut and paste instead.

Then I change some factor definitions etc, then hit the button to update my Robot file.  The Combinations went completely crazy.  Some combinations that only had 3 cases ended up with 5 or 6.  

So, being too lazy / inept / bad at code to modify your sheet by myself (:smileysad:), is there any chance it could be updated to;

1. Allow dumping the existing cases / combinations into Excel,
  2. Fix the minor bug experienced when reimporting.

I know you just sit there all day with nothing to do anyway, waiting to write VBA for me...............:smileyvery-happy:

Tony

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
bjornhgr

02-14-2012 09:53 PM in reply to: bjornhgr

Thank you for your replies! I haven't had the time to try your solutions yet, as my project stopped, but I'll give it a go as soons as I have the chance. I really appreciate this forum an all of its helpful users! Awesome stuff!

Please use plain text.
Product Support
Rafal.Gaweda

02-15-2012 05:30 AM in reply to: tony.ridley

Tony,

Then I change some factor definitions etc, then hit the button to update my Robot file.  The Combinations went completely crazy.  Some combinations that only had 3 cases ended up with 5 or 6.  

You can not copy easyly combinations from Robot. Take a look at cells order in robot Combinations table:

casenumber ; coeff; casenumber ; coeff....

In Excel : cases are "columns" so in cells of combination rows you need only coeffs in proper columns.

I know you just sit there all day with nothing to do anyway, waiting to write VBA for me...............:smileyvery-happy:

Send me beer-pack ;-)  firts

Rafal Gaweda
Please use plain text.
Product Support
Rafal.Gaweda

02-16-2012 12:34 AM in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Gift for You ;-) attached.

Rafal Gaweda
Please use plain text.