Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dome (large) hole

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Rafacascudo
938 Views, 11 Replies

Dome (large) hole

What´s the best way to model a large hole in a dome. Picture attached

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

large hole in dome.png

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 12

Thx Artur, It´s a lot easier and faster than the way I used. But ,Is there a way to get a nice mesh closer to center of the Dome? I´m aiming at a 50cm mesh ,and Using the revolve , extrude and combine methods I´m getting triangular finite elements with 3 cm base and 50cm height at the top of the dome , no matter the meshing options I tried. Is it possible to get something like this using this method? See attached picture

Rafael Medeiros
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 12

I can't think of anything easy. You may try to create a dome without the top part as as an revolved arch and then create a circular (flat) panel at the level of the top of the arch. After meshing it  you may move the nodes of the circular panel up to their final locations.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 12

file please, i will try something.

Message 6 of 12

Another solution may be that you revolve two (or more) arches. The top one(s) can be then divided into parts of smaller length(s).

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 12

That´s what i did but for the whole structure. I created a large circular panel with the large hole projection in XY plane. Then I meshed it the way I wanted . After that I got the node coordinates and moved them to the right Z position using excel .Dome is linear ,with variable thickness, to a certain height and then is a circular arc with constant thickness. So there were 2 regions with different coordinate Z formulas.

This could be done some years ago in the old Robot Millenium days using that fx function from the (separate sold) ACIS module. Is there something similar to that nowadays?

Rafael

PS: T. Sautier , revolve-combine mesh model ,as Artur sugested, is attached. Rename to .rar

Rafael Medeiros

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
t.sautierr
in reply to: Rafacascudo

What I have tried and seems to work if the dome is a portion of a sphere, draw a sphere and don't extrude an arch and then mesh it with an emettor at the top in order to avoid thin and long FE at the top.

tehn cut it to suppress bottom part and connect with the rest.

Maybe you will have to redrax the big all afterwards.

To me it seems that the meshing algorithm react better if it "knows" that the geometry is a sphere or part of it.

For this king of mesh, I always use Autocad or Rhino in order to be sure to obtain the mesh I want. You have got topics on this forum to learn how to draw the mesh in a CAD software and then to obtain exactly the same after importing it.

Message 9 of 12
Rafacascudo
in reply to: t.sautierr

regarding the picture,You draw the sphere in autocad and then import it to Robot ,Or this was entirely done inside robot?

I tried the sphere option in Robot and it draws a nice sphere but it seems similar to a revolving arc. I can´t mesh it any other way and also , the sphere also creates a half circular panel inside the sphere!!

Rafael Medeiros

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
t.sautierr

No I have made this only in Robot with the solid modeler (structure type : volumic) -> meshing system is different and I have dound that is gives better meshes than revolving arches.

Can attach a picture of the half circular pannel inside the sphere?

Message 11 of 12
Rafacascudo
in reply to: t.sautierr

here it is! It seems I would get a lot of "incoherent mesh"  warnings!!

🙂

Don´t know why it creates a half circular mesh inside the sphere

I´ll try the solid mesh!

,thx

Rafael Medeiros

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
t.sautierr

Weird ..... I had not that effect ...

By the way in order to have clean mesh at the top, don't forget the emettor. R1 =1m R2 =3m was good with the dimensions of your sphere.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report