Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different welding material

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
sonyablade2010
799 Views, 11 Replies

Different welding material

Dear All,

I wish to know whether it is possible to use different type of welding materials in RSA2012 ?

If not what kind of workaround may I use for definition of weld design normal and shear stresses ?

Regards,

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Could you indicate which connection is that intended for and mark the welds that should have different materials please?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 12

@Artur.Kosakowski wrote:

Could you indicate which connection is that intended for and mark the welds that should have different materials please?

I was intending to completely replace the welding material for all type of connections. My originiation was, If it is possible for any specific connection it should be possible for all and globally.

Regards, 

Message 4 of 12

I'm sorry but I'm not sure if I understand you correctly but using the example shown below (beam to endplate) which are the welds for normal and shear stresses? My assumption would be that they are under the combined action of both.

welds1.PNG

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 12

The problem is not actually with weld throat or length of it but with strength of welding material.

Normally weld strength and stress checks regardless of connection type is performed as per EC 3 -Part 1,8 where it describes the resistance of weld in "4.5.3 Design Resistance of Fillet Welds" and you have 2 alternatives there (a)directional method and (b)simplified method.  

For  example, in case of simplified method the design shear strength of the weld should be determined from: fvw = Fu / ( sqrt(3)*beta*gamma).  where Fu is  the nominal ultimate tensile strength of the weaker part joined; That is, when we compose the connections its weld strength is already decided by weakest adjoining material strength. What I wanted to ask is whether we have an option here to make the weld strength independent of adjoining parts strength?

Because in some countries welds might have weaker strength resistance than adjoining members or completely different type of electrodes might be used which has no relation with ultimate strength of adjoining materials.

I hope that its verbose and well versed,

Regards,

Message 6 of 12

Thank you. It's perfectly clear now. Currently there is no possibility to manually enter the fu value of welds.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 12

How about if I modify the Fu of material from database manually to suit my needs? IMHO I think that its possible but I'm not sure , your guidance will be appreciated.
Message 8 of 12

There is no weld material database. The material is taken from the 'weaker' part it 'connects' so the workaround could be to define a new material for that part. As such action can influence the verification of that part you may need to check the connection two times using different materials.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 12

Rather than using 2 different materials, how about this approach, let's say that I'll use S235 steel for all of my steel structural members and without creating the different material  I will directly modify the ultimate tensile stength of S235 from 3670.98kgf to 2000kgf or something which conforms? 

That is very conservative approach, because the resistance capacity of section might be underrated,  but one way or the other I'm on safe side.

The only thing that I'm uncomfortable with the scenario is, ultimate strength is lower than the material yield, this may somehow unnoticably result in early rejection(w/o performing required section checks ) in RSA's underlying code checking algorithm. 

your comments please,

Message 10 of 12

I think that it in principle it is the same approach as I described. My suggestion for creating a different material was to avoid the possible mistake when you use it  in some other project (the same steel grade but 'wrong' resistance and e.g be able to run code checking after assigning the 'correct' material to all bars of the model e.g. in the bars table.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 11 of 12

There is an exhaustive list of Welding Material used in the creation of steel welding rods, and rods also exist for aluminum, copper and various other metals and alloys.

1. Copper Coated Mild Steel Alloy:
Copper coated mild steel alloy comprises the most popular welding rod styles, according to Welding Technology Machines. Copper coated mild steel welding rods commonly see use for mild, low carbon, steel and wrought iron welding purposes. Mild steel, the most common steel, costs comparatively little in the world of steel; because of this, mild steel sees more use than any other form of steel. Copper coatings stop the corrosion and rust from which exposed mild steel needs protection. Copper coated mild steel alloy welding rods melt at 2,714 degrees Fahrenheit. Rods made of this material require no flux--a welding material designed to hinder oxidation and improve weld strength--for welding.

2. High Carbon Steel Alloy:
High carbon steel alloy welding rods rank second as the most common welding rod, states Welding Technology Machines. High carbon steel alloy welding rods require flux during welding. According to welding materials supplier Aufhauser, flux plays an important role in most welding processes. High carbon steel often builds up or repairs cutting edges, and several bicycle companies manufacture frames with high carbon welded steels. High carbon steels often form springs for a variety of applications as well. High carbon steel alloy rods melt at 2,462 degrees Fahrenheit. Welding rods of this material resist corrosion far better than mild steels and require no copper coating.

3. Percent Nickel Steel Alloy:
Steel, typically a combination of iron and carbon, often increases hardness with the addition of alloy materials such as molybdenum, chromium or nickel. Welders use 3 percent nickel steel alloy welding rods more often than any other rods except copper coated mild steel alloy rods and high carbon steel alloy rods, according to Welding Technology Machines. Often used in the automotive industry, 3 percent nickel steel alloy welding rods build up worn camshafts, shafts and gears. Three percent nickel steel alloy welding rods require flux during welding and melt at 2,642 degrees Fahrenheit. Welding rods of this material resist corrosion well and require no copper coating.

Message 12 of 12

This discussion is quite informative. I am an executive at a Nickel Wire Mesh firm and i keep stalling such discussions to gain information and insights. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report