Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different moment of inertia

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Engineer3636
692 Views, 4 Replies

Different moment of inertia

Hi,

I am trying to calculate the moment of inertia of a section with additional stiffener plates. I have attached the section I am trying to imput into the section definition.

The profile is aluminium with steel plates. When I calculate I get different values than robot. Can you please explain?

A quick reply would be appreciated

ThanksSection.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
marcinrakus
in reply to: Engineer3636

Hi,

I briefly ran through manual calculations at attached pdf I did not come up the modification of moments of interia of particular parts to the new center of gravity of combined section (using Steiner theorem). 

Message 3 of 5
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: marcinrakus

Just one hint: all results with * are weighted results calculated with respect to base material set on first tab.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 4 of 5
Engineer3636
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Thanks Rafel,
So you think the manual calculations are incorrect and I should use Robot?
The value with * is the moment of inertia I should be using then as this is the equivalent aluminium section (combined aluminium and steel)?
D
Message 5 of 5
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Engineer3636

I am afraid your hand calculations are too simple or I do not see part of it.

for example Iytotal = Iym + n*Iyst1 + n* Iyst2

But you use these values as calculated for each separate part but you need to transform them to center of gravity of whole section before adding.

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report