Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determining Stiffness/Modulus of Bending Across a Profile

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
ig_eng
873 Views, 6 Replies

Determining Stiffness/Modulus of Bending Across a Profile

Hi all,

I have a problem which i'm not sure if Robot can resolve or not. I am currently running with the attached profile "Loading_Diagram.png" (modelling the nose of an Aluminium Mullion) which i am "pulling out" of the section to try and effectively model the stresses induced local to this wall of the profile.

I can import the profile via a DXF into the Section Definition module however it will obviously only give me the Iy, Iz, Wy & Wz for using the profile as a beam in its entirety rather than as I want to model it. The only way i can get close is to use the Section Maps tool and apply an internal Moment in the Mx direction (see attached "Moment_Mx.png) however this doesn't give any definition as to the effective width of the section that is employed to give a resultant stresses indicated.

My question therefore is 2 fold:

1/ Can Autodesk Robot model the loading diagram as indicated (and if so how)?

2/ If the internal Moment is as good an approximation as I can get, what is the effective width of the section to give the resultant stresses? (i.e. from the equeation Z = bd2/6, what is b?)

Many thanks in advance.

Iain

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: ig_eng

What about creating the cross section of the profile as a vertical panel and then extrude it horizontally to have the beam as a solid object? For such model you can easily see the stress distribution in form of maps.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 7
ig_eng

Artur,

Many thanks for your quick response, sounds like a good solution...

Only one problem - how do i import my DXF profile to create a panel i can then extrude and load? I assume its within the volumetric module but i can't see how you would import it and also how you would then extrude it...

Best Regards,

Iain

Message 4 of 7
Artur.Kosakowski

Use Open dialog and select dxf instead of rtd to open it in the 'model' rather than in the Section Builder module. Make sure your Structure type is Solid. Open Panel definition dialog and mark FAce radio button at the top. Click inside the imported shape. Select it. Select Geometry > Objects > Extrude.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 7
ig_eng

Brilliant, got it sorted now! Thanks a lot!

Message 6 of 7
Engineer3636

Hi ig_eng
Can you show me how you did this maybe step by step in screen captures and what results you got. I have similar situation, and not sure how to do it.
Thanks
Message 7 of 7

extruded solid from dxf.png

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report