Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Designing concrete walls using Canadian Code

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
MICHAELJORDAN1792
1060 Views, 9 Replies

Designing concrete walls using Canadian Code

Hello,

I am attempting to design a concrete structure using the Robot and the builtin Canadian Code provisions. Robot is telling me that the program cannot design walls. Is there a work around solution or is there nothing I can do? When will the design of concrete walls in Canada be supported.

Thank You

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Currently the RC Wall Design module doesn't support the Canadian code. If acceptable you can use the American one instead or use the RC Slab Design module (with the Canadian code) to design the vertical panel against in-plane forces or in-plane forces and out of the plane bending.

I'm very sorry but we will not be able to handle any development plans questions on the forum.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the reply,

A couple of follow up questions:

I am trying your suggestion for calculating the required reinforcing. However, when I run the panel or wall as a shell with only the compression/tension option I get an insane amout of reinforcing required in each direction. When bending+compression/tension is selected I get a rational amount of reinforcing. Why?

Should the walls be designated as walls or as panels. The design module does not recognize walls when using the canadian code. Will the design module work if the walls are designated as panels? Is this a work around?

Having to design the walls by hand or use another program, I would like to know the forces in the walls. The table for the reduced wall forces provides design forces at specific panel cuts. How do I now where the panel cuts are on the panel. The panel cut references in the table are meaninless if I don't know where occur. I guess I could designate all of my walls as individual core walls to obtain the overall wall forces but in a building with one way slab and many shear walls that seems like unneccessary work if the program already tabulates those forces.

Thanks,

Mike

Message 4 of 10

Mike,

I am trying your suggestion for calculating the required reinforcing. However, when I run the panel or wall as a shell with only the compression/tension option I get an insane amout of reinforcing required in each direction. When bending+compression/tension is selected I get a rational amount of reinforcing. Why?

My assumption is that this is due the minimal reinforcement provisions for elements under tension. Please try to switch off minimal reinforcement check or just see what its value is.

Should the walls be designated as walls or as panels. The design module does not recognize walls when using the canadian code. Will the design module work if the walls are designated as panels? Is this a work around?

The export to the RC design modules is governed by the structure object type assigned to a panel. If it is a wall then the RC Wall design module is selected therefore you should set it as either a panel or a floor.

Having to design the walls by hand or use another program, I would like to know the forces in the walls. The table for the reduced wall forces provides design forces at specific panel cuts. How do I now where the panel cuts are on the panel. The panel cut references in the table are meaninless if I don't know where occur. I guess I could designate all of my walls as individual core walls to obtain the overall wall forces but in a building with one way slab and many shear walls that seems like unneccessary work if the program already tabulates those forces.

The names of the cuts in the reduced results for panels table are based on the number of nodes which define their origins and ends. See:

http://docs.autodesk.com/RSA/2012/ENU/filesROBOT/GUID-67D72F99-C7D5-4C15-BE1A-45E8AE0A433-739.htm

http://docs.autodesk.com/RSA/2012/ENU/filesROBOT/GUID-3936FDA3-5DFD-4F31-B16A-F0208A45128-833.htm

http://docs.autodesk.com/RSA/2012/ENU/filesROBOT/GUID-003921A4-A845-4E06-808F-BC0CFF8A2FD-832.htm

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 10

Thanks ,

I am still getting significant amounts of required reinforcing in the walls when tension/compression is selected.Both with a refined mesh and no minimum reinforcing.  I have attached the file. I suspect it is something I have missed or still have to learn about with Robot.

Mike

Message 6 of 10

As far as I can see this happens in some specific situation and can be seen for SLS calculations only. The element has to be under pure tension with load not large enough to cause any theoretical value of reinforcement to be needed (of course the minimal reinforcement area as required by the code provisions should be assumed anyway) and we will investigate this issue. The workaround is to select bending + tension/compression mode and change the method from Wood and Armer to analytical so that Nxy force is also considered (for W&A and the bending + tension/compression mode Nxy is disregarded). The additional consideration of existing of out of plane bending should not be harmful anyway Smiley Wink

http://docs.autodesk.com/RSA/2012/ENU/filesROBOT/GUID-FF347447-519A-4A03-B3DC-2CDB5A6BE02-1150.htm#G...

Mind to switch off global average of forces - you don't want to average forces between vertical and horizontal panels.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 10

Hi Michael,

You should use Advance Design America witch master the Canadians code and is 100% Autocad ans Revit compliant.

http://graitec.ca/En/Frame_En.asp

Best regards,

Hugo

Message 8 of 10

I am still getting significant amounts of required reinforcing in the walls when tension/compression is selected.Both with a refined mesh and no minimum reinforcing.  I have attached the file. I suspect it is something I have missed or still have to learn about with Robot.

Corrected in SP1 for Robot 2016.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 10
omusafer
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Just to clarify Artur; This is the message I'm getting when trying to design the reinforcement of a wall. I believe that RSA still doesn't design concrete walls according to CSA code correct? 

1.PNG

Message 10 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: omusafer

Correct.

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report