Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design of thin walled C section

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
944 Views, 9 Replies

Design of thin walled C section

Hello all

I have made 2 different thin walled sections of the same geometry but different gauges in robot. I have gone through the procedure of calculating all the section properties and then adding the section to the thin walled database and manually adding all the section proerties to it. 

I have then created the design paramters and checked thin walled section design.

The strange thing now is when the two sections are used the thicker section of the two comes out as a higher utlistation. (I have used one section with 2mm and one with 2.5mm thickness).

Looking into the calculations it seems that for the thinner section it does not calculate the effect elastic modulus (Weff,y; Weff,z) but does so for the thicker section which therefore leads to reduced section properties below that of the 2mm thickness.

Would there be a reason for this in the programs calculations? I cant undertand why there would be no calculation for reduced section properties of the thinner 2mm section. They are both set to the same deisgn parameters, experience the same forces and the section properties for both sections are correct.

Thank you for your time.

Oscar 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Anonymous

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hi Arthur

Yes I have followed what was done in the first link. I have done this quite alot and haven't come across this before. 

Thanks for the quick reply!

Oscar 

Message 4 of 10
Artur.Kosakowski

Could you attach the both rtd file and your user section database and indicate on a screen capture what to look at please?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

attached is the model file

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

attached below is the section databse

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

below are the images attached

Sorry for doing this in 3 seperate posts I have only just realised you can add more than one attachmemnt!

Thanks again

Message 8 of 10
Artur.Kosakowski

The 2.5 mm section has got the ends of C shape defined as 11 mm straight parts. Robot during the thin wall section verification checks its geometrical 'correctness' too. In case of such short reinforcement of the flange the c/b ratio is calculated to determine if it has got sufficient stiffness to be recognized as such. The check is done according to the paragraph (5.2.(2) of EN 1993-1-3 (formula 5.2a):

c_b.PNG

For the above mentioned section c/b = 11/65 = 0.169 < 0.2 therefore this vertical part is not considered as the reinforcement for the flange of the C shape meaning the flange is of class 4 becoming a cantilever rather than being supported at both ends.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Thank you Artur! You are a genius I would have never found that!

Message 10 of 10
ga137

Is it possible to add a Double Channel section by the second method mentioned, as a thin member, and then perform cold formed steel design? I am having issues in the cold form design of some complex shapes such as double sigma section etc. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report