Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depressions in slabs

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
pevelor
328 Views, 3 Replies

Depressions in slabs

Hi

I have a slab with depressions, and I am wondering the correct way of modelling this.

What I have done is the following:

1. Define contour of the main slab.

2. Assign thickness to the main slab

Assign_panel.png

3. Define a new contour inside the first slab for the depression.

4. Assign thickness for the depression

I am afraid the stiffness might be incorrect if the main slab does not have openings where I assign new panels (depressions). In other words, will the stiffness be correct?

Regards

Peder

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: pevelor

Yes, it will.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 4
pevelor
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Thats what I figured. So in other words, when I create a new panel inside another panel it will create an opening in the main panel....

The reason I got concerned I because of the values obtained in rc design

Could you explain why I get higher values where I have depressions? (All slabs have identical material)

stiffness_factor.png

Message 4 of 4
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: pevelor

Thats what I figured. So in other words, when I create a new panel inside another panel it will create an opening in the main panel....

It will create a panel with elements of different thickness. If you create a contour then it will create an opening instead.

I'm sorry but having only the picture  I'm not able to figure out what you actually modeled. Please check values of displacements and internal forces first to understand the behavior of the structure (make sure that the model behaves as you wanted it to do). The reinforcement is just the secondary result so usually this is not the area you should start your investigation with.

BTW: I may be wrong but assuming that you have continues transfer of bending along the slab the same value should cause larger reinforcement in the part with the smaller thickness.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums