Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deflected Shape of Structure

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
tony.ridley
2047 Views, 7 Replies

Deflected Shape of Structure

Mr Robot...........

Is there a way to graphically show structural deformation as components of x, y, and z movement?  See sketch below.

Thanks

img-127081641_03.jpg 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rcadzior
in reply to: tony.ridley

Great question !

Each FEM-program should be able to display the X,Y,Z-components of displacement, especially if someone calculates

structures like yours ...Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 8

Tony,

I assume that you mean the description of the deformation rather than its 'shape'? The 'shape' for a 3d model would be rather difficult to imagine (or at least very confusing when looked at) unless shown in form of the map instead.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 4 of 8

Yes, I mean a description.

For example, Microstran gives output as such, which is much more useful IMO.

robot forum jpg_01.jpg

Message 5 of 8

I agree that in some cases you may be actuallly interested to see selected (most likely the vertical)  component of the total displacement however if that's to be the only way to see the values I would complain having a frame rotated by e.g. 45 deg about the global Z (vertical) axis and being interested in the horizontal displacements Smiley Happy 

Your suggestion will be treated as the development request for the alternative way of displaying the descriptions for the deformation diagram. Thank you for your remarks and explanations.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 8

hmmmm OK.....

You KNOW you want it to be in the next service pack though don't you Smiley LOL

Cheers,

Message 7 of 8
tim.wilson

Please tell me this has been sorted out? If so, how do I force the program to display the X,Y,Z components of a given points deflection graphicaly.

I think the components being seperated out is more useful than the resultant vector displacement. ie - a monorail beam that may be able to handle a certain amounts of vertical and horizontal defelction, I would need to consider the components seperately to confirm if equipment operational limits are being satisfied.

The alternative of viewing everything in tables can be quite cumbersome and difficult to look a relative movement throughout the structure.

I've only just picked up using ROBOT in the last couple of weeks and so far there are several feautures that I take for granted in other structural anslysis packages that seem either non existent or very hard to track down.

Is there a list of features that are currently being worked / improved that I can reference?
Mainly so i'm not looking in vain for a partuicular option that  may not exist in the program yet.

Message 8 of 8
okapawal

This feature has been implemented with Robot Structural Analysis Professional 2023 release.

Please find more in the What's New

Regards

Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis team

Waldemar Okapa

Sr Product Owner

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report