Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continious element through few stories

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
vmorkunas
463 Views, 5 Replies

Continious element through few stories

Dear support team,

As well as many other users I get a warning of element not being asigned to any story. In my case I have a steel plate wall going from level "base" to level "3" (there is a slab at the level "2" as well so I cant just change the levels to suit the wall's geometry). Is it necessary to split the wall at level "2" in order to get it asigned correctly? Assignign stories manually did not work for me.. 

In short - what do you do when your element goes through few stories? And ir there ir a way to assign different parts of a single element to the different stories, can you see its displacements at different levels in the building diagrams?

Thank you 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

If it is a panel define it in smaller parts between each of the levels. You can also try to define auxiliary lines within a single panel at the levels of each of the story so that during meshing the generated surface elements are aligned to them. Then these surface elements will be assigned to different stories despite the fact that the panel goes through several ones.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 6

Artur, 

Thanks a lot ! I did not have time to test it yet, but it seams like a very reasonable solution and I am pretty sure that would work. 

Thanks

Message 4 of 6
jaascar
in reply to: vmorkunas

Hi Artur,

If I model a panel going through verious stories, but make sure that edges are interrupted at story levels, therefore forcing the mesh to pick up those points, will then the panel be correctly divided into different stories?

The reason I'm asking is because I've got a pretty complex core arrangement that goes for 40 stories. Dividing all those panels into stories means at least 10 times more panels than what is strictly necessary. I'd like to keep the number of panels to the minimum possible.

Thanks,

Jose

Message 5 of 6
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: jaascar

That should work OK as Robot will assign surface elements among the defined lines defined at the levels to the corresponding story but mind that you will not be able to use the reduced results for panels table.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 6
jaascar
in reply to: vmorkunas

Thanks Artur. I think that should be ok, we have already extracted that data from a previous model.

I'll give it a go, see if works. Thanks.

Jose

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report