Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connections to built-up columns

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1353 Views, 4 Replies

Connections to built-up columns

Hi there, I'm new to Robot and I'm having problem with all connections to my built-up columns

(see picture). Are there any tips on how to solve this?
Should I make this built-up column out of two separate columns to have this feature to work
(would then lose the feature of code verification of the built-up column i guess).

Currently using 2012 version of RSA pro.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm also using offsets on the crane beam and the column extending to the roof.
I'm not yet quite sure how ridig links and offsets work, but would it in this case be more correct to use ridgid links from the column centerline to the crane beam, and the same for the extending column?

Or is it again a more correct way to model two separate columns where I actually get separate end nodes to connect to. As indicated in this picture, and somehow add lacing to this?

Message 3 of 5
Artur.Kosakowski

What about modeling the lower part of the column (slightly below the level of the intended connection with a beam) as a compound section (so that you can use the corresponding feature of the steel design module) and then add the top 'part' a a separate profiles connected with the rest of the model with rigid links?

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Thanks Arthur, that worked out very well it seems. 

I did the same to the bottom of the column (column base connection). As for the mid span I modeled a dummy beam with a ridgid link to the column, to provide a connection point for bracings etc. 

Message 5 of 5
Artur.Kosakowski

Creativity Smiley Happy

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report