Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection problem: column base design

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
corne_mo
589 Views, 3 Replies

Connection problem: column base design

I'm facing an issue with the following setup:

node 1: 0,0 (support type: fixed)

node 2: 0,2000

node 3: 2000,2000

bar 1: column from node 1 to node 2

bar 2: bracing from node 1 to node 3

the rest of the construction is not meaningful for this issue.

After doing the FEM analysis I want do to a connection column base design. When doing this design the connection is designed for the bar forces from bar 1 (column) only. The forces from bar 2 (bracing), which, in practice, need to be guided trhough the base plate of the column to the concrete, are not included in this calculation.

This seems logical as both bar 1 and bar 2 end directly in a fixed support and thus the forces from bar 2 will never work on bar 1 and thus not on the connection.

I can solve this by adding an extra node 4: 10,0 and let bar 2 going from node 4 to node 3, so that the force from the bracing will affect bar 1 (column). However, my design has centerlines running exactly to node 1.

So if I make my centerline model correct, the connection forces are wrong. If I make the model such that the connection forces are correct, the centerlines are not correct and I need extra nodes.

What is the best solution for such an issue?

Secondly, I have modelled the connections in the beginning of the project. After that I ran the analysis and the connection calculations. Then an update on forces was done, so a recalculation was needed. I ran the analysis and re-ran the connections. I expected Robot to auto-update the forces in the connections calculations after the analysis was re-ran. Apperently this doesn't happen and I have to update the connections and then re-run them to get correct forces in the calculations. Is this how it should be done?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: corne_mo

What is the version of Robot that you use please?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 4
corne_mo
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Robot Structural Analysis Professional 2011 (24.0.6.3598).

Message 4 of 4
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: corne_mo

It's time to upgrade to v.2012 Smiley Happy

You can update the forces by  pressing the indicated button:

manual update of forces.png

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report