Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Rigid Link between Cable and Plate

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
kranic24
758 Views, 9 Replies

Connecting Rigid Link between Cable and Plate

Can anyone help me determine what I'm doing wrong here? I want to attach a steel plate to a cable. The cable is continuous from bottom to top however I modeled with nodes in the span in order to apply some rigid links that will be holding up the steel plate. When you have cable-to-cable nodes do i need to add a "connection"? I only have a uniform windload applied in addition to pretension and some dead load (no loads in y direction).

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: kranic24

Pdelta calculation must be run.

What else - send us screen capture or model.

Check also:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/Cable-ROBOT/td-p/3393233

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 10
kranic24

Screen shot attached

Will not let me upload model (.rtd file)

Message 4 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda

zip it before attaching or upload and send link from services www.filemail.com or wetransfer.com

Rafal Gaweda
Message 5 of 10
kranic24
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Message 6 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda

Structure Type should be Frame 3D or Shell.

Ther are only truss bars due to Truss structure type - so they have no rotational dof.

Corrected model attached

Rafal Gaweda
Message 7 of 10
kranic24

Thanks for the assistance Rafal. The model type mistake makes sense, clearly. However I still have not determined the necessary steps to add rotational support to my cable that has been "broken" up into segments. I am not able to get this model to run due to stability issues....help?

Message 8 of 10
kranic24

Anyone know how to connect a rigid link to cable midspan and make it structurally stable? Do i need to somehow use "Compatible Nodes"? Do I need to segment my cable and then add cable releases? Help please.

Message 9 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda

Thanks for the assistance Rafal. The model type mistake makes sense, clearly. However I still have not determined the necessary steps to add rotational support to my cable that has been "broken" up into segments. I am not able to get this model to run due to stability issues....help?

I do not think you have read my posts or document about cables in the thread I mentioned.

Errors in your model:

- wrong supports

- missing pdelta

nonpd.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 10 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda

Anyone know how to connect a rigid link to cable midspan and make it structurally stable?

Connected properly in your model. What about replacing rigid bars by rigid links?

Do I need to segment my cable and then

Yes.

add cable releases? 

????

http://docs.autodesk.com/RSA/2012/ENU/filesROBOT/GUID-A761540B-9E96-4760-AF04-47E22059B83-241.htm

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report