Discussion Groups

Robot Structural Analysis

david.byrne2

Composite Concrete Volumetric Structure Design

413 Views, 1 Replies
08-25-2011 04:00 AM

Hi,

I am relatively new to Robot so I’m still trying to figure out some of the functions. Essentially what I am trying to model is a composite concrete structure using the Volumetric Structure Design tool within Robot. My model consists of 65mm thick Solid precast concrete section with a 385mm thick Solid in-situ element on top (both elements have different properties). I am wondering how best to model the interface between the two concrete elements or if this is at all possible? In theory a failure plane is possible where the two concrete elements are in contact and I was hoping you might be able to explain how best to model this in Robot. I also have a query in relation to modeling reinforcement within 3D Volumetric solids and the best practice for this; is it possible to enter and edit the bond characteristic properties between the steel and concrete? The concrete elements mentioned above will have reinforcement layers placed within them.

Please use plain text.
Product Support
Artur.Kosakowski

Re: Composite Concrete Volumetric Structure Design

08-25-2011 04:50 AM in reply to: david.byrne2

Reading your description I think that what you need are contact elements that are not available in Robot. You may consider using Algor for such types of models.

http://www.algor.com/news_pub/tech_white_papers/surface_contact/default.asp

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Please use plain text.