Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Composite Action

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Burgon87
3251 Views, 6 Replies

Composite Action

I have a composite deck and steel frame structure, I am trying make the slab and beam perform with composite action. Also I need the slab to act as lateral restrant to the beams as the beams are often failing in buckling.

Is there any way to create these two criteria?

Many Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tony.ridley
in reply to: Burgon87

• Create the beams and draw the slab over the top. 
  • Don't offset the beams down, rather increase the Iy manually to account for the offset that exists in reality. 
  • Choose shell type and use flexible diaphragm for the slab. 
  • In the steel design check module, assign full lateral restraint to the top flange or your beams.

This should work OK

Message 3 of 7
Burgon87
in reply to: tony.ridley

Thank you for the help.

The only problem I seem to have is actually restraining the top flange.....how do I go about doing this? Is there a tick box or method of doing this ?

Message 4 of 7
Artur.Kosakowski

The design parameters are to be defined in the member type label assigned to a bar.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 7

How do you increase the ly manually on a steel beam? Are you really going to get composite action between the beam and the slab?

I tried to model a composite beam by designing a section from section definition, introducing the steel section and the concrete section that is acting together.

I then place in the model and tried to design them from the stresses. The results seemed correct.

What do you think of that solution?
Message 6 of 7

I don't think you can pro-rata steel member stifness, but you could define the section using user defined values, and factor the Iy accordingly.  

Cheers,

Tony

Message 7 of 7
Tuctas

All these methods concern modeling used in analysis (personally, i prefer the way that sariklakis.emm suggested which can be used either if panels are modeled with F.Es or without F.Es but with diaphragm).

As concerns design of composite sections, it is not currently available and any kind of "technique" is just an approximation that cannot reach the real action that take place (see attached).     

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report