Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complex Section - Lattice

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
jo2ny
1703 Views, 9 Replies

Complex Section - Lattice

Hello,

i need to create a lattice beam between two UPN 300 profiles as shown in the attached picture.

I created first a model with 4 supports that would simulate the connection between the lattice ( upper and lower chords) and the UPN sections.

I did the calculation and the steel deign for this model, and everything is ok so far.

The problem is that now i need to integrate this lattice into the bigger model, where I am unable to put the 4 supports.

In the bigger model I must connect the lattice to beams with UPN300 section.

How would you do this?

I tried to use the Complex Section property and define a Lattice in XZ plane with the post and the diagonal made of TCAR40x4 sections.

The result was not the same.

I'm not shure how the lattice chords (upper and lower) would be defined in this case.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: jo2ny

Try to create the dummy bars from the nodes of UPN 300 up and down to the nodes of the top and bottom chords of the lattice. This is similar to the solution I proposed for http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/Rafter-on-wall-problem/td-p/3363029

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 10
jo2ny
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

I agree and I will use the short dummy bar solution.

But I would still like to know how to corectly use the Complex Section - Lattice option. Maybe it will come in handy some day and I'm not shure how it works.

Message 4 of 10
Artur.Kosakowski

This option is primarily intended for verification of complex columns under the compression force. I'm attaching some verification examples in Polish done for Polish steel code but looking at the pictures you should be able to find out what is the range of application for this option.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 10
jo2ny
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Nice!

I got it now, thanks! Tried modeling and it worked. Further, I have to test it sometime.

Case closed 🙂

P.S.

It's such a nice feeling when you learn something new... Even if it's a minor thing, it usualy is a starting point for further reaserch.

Message 6 of 10
boobathi

Dear 

Can I get the same examples in English. I am trying for crane column a batterned column . Is it possible to apply crane load in one column and other columns to be extended up to roof .

In frame generator if crane column facility had been added means it will be very use ful

Thanks and regards 

M.S.Boobathi 

Message 7 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: boobathi

I such case you have to create model as on your screen shot

Rafal Gaweda
Message 8 of 10
boobathi

Thanks 

Whether battern plates also to be modled ?  Please advise me how to model battern plae . 

Thanks and regards 

M.S.Boobathi 

Message 9 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: boobathi

Whether battern plates also to be modled ?  Please advise me how to model battern plae . 

Connect columns by bars with correct section

Rafal Gaweda
Message 10 of 10

Hello Artur, I am using RSAP 2020 to design a complex section column but I do not have the option for design of connections of chords. Is this option no longer available?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report