Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Code Combinations

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
MARIOSZISSIMATOS5169
1217 Views, 16 Replies

Code Combinations

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with the code combinations in ARSA 2010.

I use a code to generate manual combinations and then I change some parameters in the code and try to generate another set of manual combinations. I had one success in doing that in a beam model but now I try again and after the first generation the software does not recognize the change in the code combibation parameters (γmax, γmin, etc) and I don't get the familiar message "Code regulations have changed, do you want to delete previously calculated combinations....". I have tried everything but no success. I have done it once so I know it is possible. Any help?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Are changes which you made in regulation file of code combinations were kept?

Please try to save it as new one and use it as modified version.

Is there any chance to share the file with me?

Jakub Brożonowicz

Global Product Support

Message 3 of 17

Changes are kept in the file. I 'll try to save it with another name. I 'll let you know.

Thx.

Message 4 of 17

Spoiler

I saved regulation with different name and it worked. But the file in CfgUsr didn't change name. Just the in software code name. Can you explain how we create new code parameters, name it and then save it to a file that we can take to another pc?

Message 5 of 17

The regulation file in version 2010 was stored Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Structural\Common Data\Rgl.

Just migrate it to other user computer in same loaction and load to apply in new file job.

Jakub Brożonowicz

Global Product Support

Message 6 of 17

I think you are wrong. In my pc (Windows XP), a new .rgl file is stored in "C:\Documents and Settings\Marios\Application Data\Autodesk\Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis 23.0\CfgUsr".

Only default installation .rgl files are located in the directory you mention.

Thx for the immediate support, I really needed it.

Marios.

Message 7 of 17

Thanks and sorry for that.

I hope you are doing well now with it.

Jakub Brożonowicz

Global Product Support

Message 8 of 17

Hi,

The problem mentioned at the beginning (2011 !) of this thread (combination factors not updating after saving the code rule) still exists at version 2014.

Can we have this bug finally fixed ??

Marios

Message 9 of 17

The edition of the regulation is not enough as the old rules are saved within the rtd file (you don't want to have them changed if you open your file on another computer where the regulation is in its original or modified in another way version, do you?).

IMHO the best is to create the new regulation file to avoid the possible mistake using the regulation that have the 'standard' name and changed load factors in the way shown in the attached document. I can't see any problem there starting from the first version of Robot for Windows Smiley Happy

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 10 of 17

Hi again,

The problem is not the creation of a new code rule, but when I have already created and successfully used the new rule but then I once again modify the factors or the expressions and re-save it, then the combinations generated do not get updated with the changes. It doesn't happen always and there is not a clear away to go around this bug.

Marios

Message 11 of 17

As I wrote the edition of the regulation is not enough as the already used 'rules' are saved in the file. The correct approach should be similar to the use of a newly created regulation (which is basically what you do changing the load factors). You should delete the old code combinations and generate the new ones (you should be asked about the change of the regulation file as in my example and the answer should be yes). As I personally do not like to overwrite the default regulations with the changed one (with the same name) I just created the new one instead which IMHO is just the same action as the edition of the existing regulation file.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 12 of 17

The steps you have shown are included in my normal way of working when making a new code rule. I repeat that the bug is that the software does not recognize a change in the factors later on and it does not ask to delete or keep the old combinations.

// Marios

Message 13 of 17

Could you attach the sample rtd file and step by step description of actions to follow (or  a small movie) so that I could try to have the same situation on my computer please? Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 14 of 17

I cna't make a movie of this issue. As I said, the bug appears after you modify the factors but not the expressions. Then Robot does not recognize the change, you have to select another code, proceed to get the "New code...delete old combinations" message, accept, return back, select the code you want to use and proceed again. Only then it detects the modified code.
Message 15 of 17

Let me try to explain again:

1. You start a project and with the default values of load factors. The information about these load factors and corresponding regulation file name is stored in the rtd file. 

2. You modify the load factors in the regulation file in Job Preferences. This does not influence the rtd file as it 'uses' the original definition of the regulation file (see point 1).

Why is that? Imagine that you send me the file from point 1 and it uses aaa.rgl file. I open this file on my computer and I have another aaa.rgl file in my Job Preferences but it has got different load factors - shall your file be changed the moment I open it on my PC? We don't think it should.

3. To force the change you need to change the regulation file. This can be either done as you described or simply instead of changing the the default values in the default regulation you create a new one which you then select (the solution I originally proposed)

Artur Kosakowski
Message 16 of 17

I think we don't understand each other 🙂

What I am trying to say is that your solution #3 only works the first time ! When you modify the factors a second time you need to do what I described earlier, which is load another code (default or not it doesn't matter), accept to delete the combinations and reload the code you intend to use, otherwise Robot does not recognize the change. My solution to the bug is not prerfect as it messes up the nature and sub-nature of the load cases as you have to load an irrelevant code as a middle step to make Robot recognize the changes.

I hope this is clearer now.

Message 17 of 17

Maybe this way:

Natures + factors + requlation formulas are loaded (read from text file)  ONLY while starting new project or while selecting and loading different regulation and all these factors are kept within rtd file. So any modification in already read regulation file (manually or in editor) is not forcing program to reload it. Program just does not know that regulation text file is changed. You have to force loading this file to reload natures, factors, formulas by selecting different regulation  ; that's why we always suggest to change regulation name and regulation file name after modifications to be sure that the correct one is loaded. 

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report