Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cladding panel loads not distributed properly

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
pta_simon
2207 Views, 12 Replies

Cladding panel loads not distributed properly

I am adding cladding panels to an RC structure for the purpose of applying a wind loading to them to carry out a stability analysis but am having a few issues with getting the panels to distribute the load applied to them correctly.

Firstly I am distributing loads using one-way X and one-way Y options to distribute the loads between floor slabs. I have found however that in some panels the load distribution regions do not conform with what I have specified. On the attached printscreen, in the bottom left of the structure, the panels between the ground and first floors have been applied in the same way as the floors above this panel but do not seem to distribute their loads correctly.

Also on the attached printscreen is another problem I have encountered. I have input cladding panels onto the entire face (RHS of the structure) but some panels only seem to be distributing loads at random points along the wall. The cladding panel is still there on the structure but as you can see is no longer visible when choosing to show load distribution regions.

Could you advice me on how to go about solving these two particular problems?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: pta_simon

Robot file please.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 13
pta_simon
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda
Message 4 of 13
Rafal.Gaweda

1. Such display is caused by cladding overlapping panels 640 

2. Your model is inaccurate, example:

702.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 5 of 13
dimogrec

(I did not want to start a new topic, the title of this one describes fine my situtation)

Even though the load distribution regions seem correct, in fact a portion of the load isn't transferred to bar No 45. This obviously leads to an incorrect design of the bar, but the most curious thing is that the missing portion of load isn't transferred to any other member of the structure. The sum of values-reactions-forces are equal. Everything seems ok. Adding a node to the middle of bar 45 or dividing the bar or even moving bar No16 for a couple of cm in positive sense of direction X solves the problem and load is correctly distributed on bars and sum of values-reactions-forces is increased (by the missing load part).

LOAD_DISTR.jpg

Just for the history I started the model with shell and then I switched it to curtain wall. I also tried roundup/down without success.

Message 6 of 13
t.sautierr
in reply to: dimogrec

I would say it is due to the contour geometry : try to do smaller pannels, would be easier for Robot to generate the loads without mistakes (see example attached).

If you want to stay with your current set of pannel, then instead of dividing the bar 45, you can divide pannel edge (10) to "guide" robot.

By the way : see bar 45, it is not ending up to the facade, it is what you want? (no incidence with the previous problem)

In the example, i drew cladding instead of pannel, because i didn't the point to have pannel but no FE (curtain wall type)

Message 7 of 13
dimogrec
in reply to: t.sautierr

Hi t.sautier and thank you for your time Smiley Happy

I agree that also dividing the edge of the curtain wall-cladding solves the problem.

thanks for the tip about generating smaller panels-claddings but by its self does not alterate my case unless you also divide the bar or edge.

t.sautier wrote: By the way : see bar 45, it is not ending up to the facade, it is what you want?

Yes that's what I want and I believe that this is the real reason of the inaccurate load distribution (or the relative small distance between nodes 3-49 see picture in my previous post). If I extend the bar 45 to bar 36 , or even if I move node 3 away from node 49 without touching bar 36 everything works as expected

Message 8 of 13
t.sautierr

As far as I remember I didn't extend the bar 45 in the model I attached and the only fact to make smaller panel solve your problem (see automatic load distribution).

See you.

Message 9 of 13
dimogrec

Thanks again t.sautier

in the model you uploaded the bar 45 is extended and divided (node6)

bar_extended.jpg

now if I set node 3 for bar end and also delete node 6, load distribution doesn't work properly even with smaller claddings

bar_not_extended.jpg

If you have time (or anyone else) try at your pc and let me know

Message 10 of 13
t.sautierr

right, but before you had'nt a pannel behind bar 45.. anyway. same result for me.

Message 11 of 13
dimogrec

yes in my model I did not have a panel behind 45, I found this panel in your model.

thanks again for your time.

Message 12 of 13
Artur.Kosakowski

Even though the load distribution regions seem correct, in fact a portion of the load isn't transferred to bar No 45. 

LOAD_DISTR.jpg

Corrected in SP2 for Robot 2015

Artur Kosakowski
Message 13 of 13
dimogrec
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Thanks a lot!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report