Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central coordinates Section

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
laurentiu.gavrila04
1010 Views, 14 Replies

Central coordinates Section

Hello,

I created a section that like in pic1, and it's properties are given both in Principal&Central System coordinates. When I use it in my model and I assign bars with this section it automatticaly put's the GAMMA angle in order for the system to be parallel with the legs (my case 20,58-see pic.2). When I calculate the structure Robot reduces all the efforts (M,N,T) to the principal coordinate system. I want the efforts to be reduced to the central CS (as for the CAIP profiles-where the central axes are parallel to legs). Is this possible? I think it must be.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

You either need to edit section properties in the section database or type them in these dialogs:

Section by values.PNG

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 15

Ok, this is a solution for T sections. Mine is a bit different. My section is not listed at section types after I click on add. parameters, only general types ones, I, T, L etc. All created section get saved to user database. I didn't find a way to open user database and to modify from there the characteristics like i can do for the other databases (euro, corus, etc). Is it possible to do it in other ways? How are the CAI profiles made in order that Robot consideres the central axis as reference and not the principle ones?

Message 4 of 15

Mind that you enter the section properties as calculated for the  exact shape of the section and the selected section type (in this case e.g. T is only the information for the steel design module about which verification formulas should be used - I assumed that you want to design your section as T otherwise select another shape). If you don't want to code checking the section you don't have to access the additional attributes part at all.

You can edit the user section database using  the section browser : Tools > Section database 

The properties of CAI like profiles were entered directly in the section databases.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 15

Hello again,

I have spent a lot of time in trying to change al the parameters with respect to the central coord system, and still when I put the section into the model it goes wrong. I will attach you the section created (in global coordinates) and if you can please help me with the properties of the section in central coordinates would be great. I understood that i have to modify in the database all those parameters (like for the CAI-CAIP profiles), but i tried and something is wrong. Bassically I need the properties to insert them in the table. I have attached screenshots with the section and the calculation note, because it is not allowed to attach .sec type files.

Thank you.

Message 6 of 15

Attach the sec file as zip.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 15

Here it is.

Message 8 of 15

TL modified.png

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 15

Thank you, it worked, is it a way in calculating all the parameters in central coord system directly in Robot?

Message 10 of 15

The range is limited to the values you can see on the central or arbitrary tab of the Results dialog.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 11 of 15

On the section database tables there are more parameters than what is on the central system. What about these values? If I maintained the same values will my section be erroneous? I've been trying to put an built-up angles on sections but I do get these problems with the Gamma angle.

Message 12 of 15

You may find it easier to define a shape of the section in the Section Builder module and then save it to the user database after calculating its properties. 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 13 of 15

I have a train bridge of variable section which I created on section definition. When getting close to the central support(higher sections) ,the horizontal local axis shifts from Z to Y.

LOCAL AXES.jpg

Is there an easier way other than editing in the section database table?

I just need similar results for the bars. I don´t care about designing them

Rafael Medeiros
Robot Structural Analysis

Message 14 of 15

No, there isn't. The Section Builder module "assigns" axes automatically.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 15 of 15

Hello Artur ane everyone,

It seems to me that when going to the central system as in message 8, the Iyczc value is neglected as there is no space to fill it in. Do i miss something, is your opinion?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report