Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4
mgt89
372 Views, 3 Replies

Canopy Problems

Hi guys I´m working with a canopy that was transferred and corrected from AutoCAD 3D. I´m in the process of defining each bar type and notice that the local axis is not defined according to the inner and outer plane, which will bring some problems to the buckling analysis. The problem is that the only way I see of correcting this is by manually changing each local axis of each bar. Does anyone have a better idea?

I´ve attached some examples. 

Another doubt that i have is with the way that user defined structural axis work. I´ve created a couple of arbitrary axis and would like to only select the bars that are between them. I´ve tried doing that with the special select but wasn’t very successful. How can i do that?

Thanks a lot

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: mgt89

Hi guys I´m working with a canopy that was transferred and corrected from AutoCAD 3D. I´m in the process of defining each bar type and notice that the local axis is not defined according to the inner and outer plane, which will bring some problems to the buckling analysis. The problem is that the only way I see of correcting this is by manually changing each local axis of each bar. Does anyone have a better idea?

I´ve attached some examples. 

• Select the node (the Node option in the Special values field) together with the bar nodes, defines the main bending plane of the bar section.
  • Select the bar (the Position option in the Special values field and the Number option). The selected bars are turned in such a manner that one of the cross-section principal axes is perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the highlighted bar. This option is useful when setting roof purlin bars. The consecutive stages for determining a Gamma angle for structure roof bars are shown in the following images.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RSAPRO/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-B0DBD19B-0A93-4959-AD4C-D53D56166CEA

Another doubt that i have is with the way that user defined structural axis work. I´ve created a couple of arbitrary axis and would like to only select the bars that are between them. I´ve tried doing that with the special select but wasn’t very successful. 

selaxis.jpg

This option does not work for Arbitrary structural axes

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 4
mgt89
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Hi Thanks for the answer 🙂

But for the axis rotation wont i need to do it one by one for each bar? Can you elabore a litlle more how the process works :). The canopy is a fairly large structure and since its curved each bar has his inner and outer plane (see attachment).

Plus is there any fast way to create claddings to place surface loads (wind etc). I´m doing it manually but i was wondering if there is any way of doing it automatically. 

Message 4 of 4
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: mgt89

But for the axis rotation wont i need to do it one by one for each bar? Can you elabore a litlle more how the process works :). The canopy is a fairly large structure and since its curved each bar has his inner and outer plane (see attachment).

It will not work as you expect for this structure.

Plus is there any fast way to create claddings to place surface loads (wind etc). I´m doing it manually but i was wondering if there is any way of doing it automatically. 

Here it is:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Robot-Structural-Analysis/Forcing-mesh-in-Robot/m-p/3854666#M12462

Of course, instead of Shell panels use Curtain Walls or convert panels to claddings by applying "Load Distibution - Claddings" property to panels

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report