Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canadian steel code design - values changing after clicking *Auto' button

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
PatrickEC
681 Views, 7 Replies

Canadian steel code design - values changing after clicking *Auto' button

See the scree capture: http://screencast.com/t/oxs2Esv9Xbs1

After clicking *Auto* button, the values change. I think this has something to do with that this member consists of two members with different section, but I want to make sure what is going on here.

BTW, the first equation below *RESULTS* is missing U1 variables.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

1. The Auto as well as manual check (Forces button) are intended for a quick check of the capacity of the cross section and some limitation comparing to the 'standard' verification done by the program especially for accessing the data from other locations along a verified bar when checking the capacity in the specified location of this bar.

2. The check of the cross section strength (13.8.2.(a)) is done with no influence of stability control (no buckling). As it is assumed Ce= infinity (13.8.4) then U1 is assumed as 1.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 8

2. The check of the cross section strength (13.8.2.(a)) is done with no influence of stability control (no buckling). As it is assumed Ce= infinity (13.8.4) then U1 is assumed as 1.

I reviewed the steel  code again and it is somewhat unclear, but I tend to agree with your explanation.

However, if that is the case then the calculated value in Robot in incorrect.

See the attached example:

Cf = 628.70

Cr0 = 2030.40

Mfy = 2.92

Mry = 286.76

Mfz = 48.45

Mrz = 71.69

Cf/Cr0 + 0.85*Mfy/Mry + 0.60*Mfz/Mrz = 628.70/2030.40 + 0.85* 2.92/286.76 + 0.60*48.45/71.69 = 0.72

Message 4 of 8

Could you attach the rtd file please? I assume that you check the 13.8.2(a) line?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 8

I will create a sample file and attach it here when I have a minute, but just take a very slender column 200<KL/r<300, apply force Cf  > Ce so that U is 1000 and you will see similar results.

Yes, I am reffing to 13.8.2(a).

Message 6 of 8
PatrickEC
in reply to: PatrickEC

Artur: I sent you a private message with the model.

Message 7 of 8
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: PatrickEC

Patrick : send me or to Pawel this file. Artur is out of office.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 8 of 8

After installation of SP2 for v.2013 in  the 13.8.2(a) formula U1y and U1z will be displayed. In case they are equal to 1.0 this value will be shown instead of U1y or U1z.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?siteID=123112&id=2334435&linkID=13140816

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report