Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canadian Steel Code (CSA S16-09) - omega1

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
PatrickEC
873 Views, 2 Replies

Canadian Steel Code (CSA S16-09) - omega1

While reviewing steel code verification results after model modifications, I noticed the behavior that I do not understand and which is possibly a bug.

Below are the results for both models.

The first bracing point in both cases is at 4.27m (which is exactly where the calculation point is located, but it does not matter, I also checked the results for the point at 4.10m and observed the same behavior).

Forces and calculated coefficients are very similar with the exception of omega1.

Here is the relevant excerpt from the code:

omega-1_code.png

Based on this:

A) for Buckling Z:
Shear force Fy is zero over the section considered, therefore clause 13.8.5(a) applies. Bending diagram Mz is in double curvature and the ratio of the moments is around 1, so omega1 should be 0.4 - as in the first model and not 1.0 as in the second model.

B) for Buckling Y

Shear force Fz varies linearly over the section considered (indicating distributed load between supports), therefore clause 13.8.5(b) applies and omega1 should be 1.0 - as in the second model and not 0.61 as in the first model.

omega1_-_model1_-_steelres.png

omega1_-_model1_-_Fy.png

omega1_-_model1_-_Mz.png

omega1_-_model1_-_Fz.png

omega1_-_model1_-_My.png

omega1_-_model2_-_steelres.png

omega1_-_model2_-_Fy.png

omega1_-_model2_-_Mz.png

omega1_-_model2_-_Fz.png

omega1_-_model2_-_My.png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Patrick,

The calculations of omega1 is not fully automatic and it depends on the load scheme you selected. See the attached picture.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 3

These settings were indeed different in both models. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report