Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4
jo2ny
373 Views, 3 Replies

Cable problem

Say we have a simple pendulum in a given position (not strait vertical).

In a 2D plane we would have a cable element (with a defined lenth or with the elongation=0), fixed(or pinned ?) at one end, and with a vertical Z- force applied at the other end.

The goal would be to find the equilibrium point (plain vertical in this case).

Also to find the displacement of the loose end point.

Would this be possible in ROBOT? 

If yes, then how?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: jo2ny

Check the attached picture. If I understand you correctly your task will be to find such definition of a cable that produces the 'requested' value of force in it.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 4
jo2ny
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Not realy. 

in attached picture1 is the starting position of the pendulum. after calculation, the deformed shape should be a vertical cable. Fx would be 10kN. And i could read the displacements of the bottom point of the cable.

The task would be

1) to find the equilibrium point. in this case strait vertical.

2) the forces in the cable in this position

if I could solve this i could go further and solve the problem in picture 2.

so i would want robot to find the shape in which equilibrium occurs( when the point where the force is applied is on the same vertical line as the fixed point.) 

I could read the forces in the cables in this equilibrium position. also the displacements.

Message 4 of 4
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: jo2ny

In such case I'm afraid you will not be able to solve that with Robot. It is not capable of determining the position of the equilibrium of a model based on the equilibrium of acting loads.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report