Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bend in Cable will not solve - HELP

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1819 Views, 4 Replies

Bend in Cable will not solve - HELP

Simple cable fixed at ends with several intermediate attachments. Simply applied a uniform load perpendicular to surface. The only difficult thing is there is a slight bend about half way up. Every intermediate including at the bend is only to resist reaction in the x-direction. My model is unable to solve unless I fix also in y-direction which is not accurate. Anything I can do to model this correctly?

Realistically, the bend node should be displacing some amount in the y-direction. (NOTE AXIS DEFINITION IN MODEL)

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Anonymous

Result are wrong because your model does not converge.

To correct it

- nonlinear pdelta caclulations are required

pdeltarice.jpg

- becasuse you have chain of cables you should define assembling paramaters as elongation or do it this way:

cablerice.jpg

- to get the same force in all cables you have to properly define support in node shown below - rotation required - (180-166.6)/2

suprice.jpg

Corrected file attached

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Rafal,

I have been using your guidelines and advice with great success. However, I have recently had a cable that solved with unlikely results. This basic cable that returns around a 90 degree is producing an approximate 6" deflection at the soffit portion that intuitively should not occur.

My guess is the usage of Cable_1 and Cable_2. I have utilized your guidelines from previous posts in that the ends have pretension amounts present while the middle cables have "relative"=0.

If I change 2 of the 3 cables to relative=0 and only have one end cable with pretension, the results appear practical.

Please comment and let me know if there is something I'm doing incorrectly for this application. Thanks.

Message 4 of 5
Rafal.Gaweda

Due to assembling force in cable (bar) 3 support is moved along its local Y to get such force in cable.

Keep in mind that support has "no roller" on it so cable can not slide and that's why such solution is calcaulated by program.  To get desired effect you can do as you already did or you have to play with elongation parameters on horizontal and vertical cable in the way not to move support.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 5 of 5
arunmoses
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Mr Rafael,
Your replies are too good.
Arun structural engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report