Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beam design with THA

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
StuartRogers
936 Views, 4 Replies

Beam design with THA

Hi,

I'm currently trying to carry out a beam design / verification for a THA analysis.

The analysis is a simple steel structure, modelled using beam (bar) elements.

I have tried to use the THA + and THA - load cases. These are created automatically when the THA analysis is run. Unfortunately when I select them in the 'Steel/Aluminium Design' -> Calculations -> Loads -> Cases dialogue box, they do not appear.

I have also tried creating a load case for each timestep of the THA, then running the member (or code group) verification for these timesteps. This takes a very long time to run. Also unfortuantely so far this has returned zero loading on the members when the design / verification is run.

From the 'Diagrams for bars' view, I can see that there are moments and forces in the beams.

Is there a tutorial available for doing beam design from a THA or please can you advice me what I might be doing wrong.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Stuart

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

The design should be run against the simple load cases (or combinations which include them) created from the conversion of THA time steps results.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 5

Arthur,

Thank you for your advice.

I am still seeing 0.000 ratios for the simple load cases converted from the THA. Infact I now get a ration of 0.000 for all of the load cases.

However, there is loading going through these members (according to the 'Results'-> 'Diagrams for bars' output - see the attached screenshots for further info.

Is there something that I could be going wrong?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Stuart

Message 4 of 5

Could you send me the file to look at?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 5

Thank you for your help.

I did a few things and now it works. Not sure which was the solution.

1. I saved the file as a new name

2. Moved the initial load for the THA to a loadcase number lower than the THA loadcase number

3. The spectral analyses has somehow been deleted, so I added them again. I didn't think the Spectral analyses would be used for the THA.

The member design is now working fine.

Regards,

Stuart

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report