Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Base connection to HEA beam instead of concrete

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Tihomir.Karaba
898 Views, 10 Replies

Base connection to HEA beam instead of concrete

Hello,

I'm designing a steel frame that need to be mounted (bolt connection) to existing steel platform, so I'm interested is it possible to make base connection type to the HEA (or similar steel section) instead of to concrete?

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Tihomir Karaba

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

What about using the beam to column connection with the end plate? In your case the beam will be the column and the column will be the beam :-).

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for quick answer

Yes, that would be great, but

in my case the column of the steel frame that need to be mounted to the platform is hollow section (pipe), so beam-column connection is not possible.

Also I have some dimensions of the base plate (end plate) that I have to keep (number and arrangement of the bolts). Any other idea?

Kind regards

Tihomir Karaba

Message 4 of 11

Could you make a sketch of this connection?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 11

Yes, of course

See attachment.

Thanks

Message 6 of 11

This is the closest match I can think of.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 11

OK

I will try that way. Thanks

Earlier I've tried with following approach:

1. I designed base connection to concrete foundation, with dimensions of the support plate, number and arrangement of the bolts and dimensions and arrangement of the ribs witch are mandatory for me. From that connection verification I have excluded anchoring part (anchor also passed).

2. Because I need to check bolting connection I have designed another model in which the column (pipe) was replaced by equivalent custom H section column (similar section properties) and concrete foundation by HEA section (support). Than I have made beam-column connection with end plate dimensions as described above. From this connection verification I took the bolting part.

Can it be done in this way?

Thanks

Message 8 of 11

I'm not able to tell how accurate either of this approximated solutions are going to be. 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 11

Hello,

I've tied as you suggested (with elastic support) but I can't get generated fixed column base connection associated to structure, just pinned one as you can see on attached picture. Then after connection verification the ratio is 0.00, because forces are null.

Could you please tell me where I'm making a mistake?

Thanks

Kind regards

Tihomir Karaba

Message 10 of 11

Try to create the elastic support with very small values for UZ, RX, RY and RZ so that they do influence the results of static analysis of the structure (on the picture I attached the values for rotational stiffness are smaller than 0.01 therefore they are shown as 0.00 for the display set as 0.12). Unfortunately as the forces are taken from the values of reactions you will need to check the values of forces in the column and enter them manually using the manual calculations option.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 11 of 11

Hello,

I've managed to make fixed column base connection, according to your instructions, but at the end it seems that I get the same results as I get with rigid support at column base (automatic connection calculation).

So I still can't get proper verification of bolt connection (only anchorage) and the concrete foundation have high influence in the results. I'm out of ideas and I think I still need another alternative model to get that verification.

It will be great if there is possibility in Robot to make beam to beam connection (splice connection) between the steel hollow members, if I'm not mistaken this connection is covered by Eurocode 3. I think that is the closest connection type for my case.

Thank you very much on your support

Kind regards

Tihomir Karaba

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report