Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning Stories

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
Tuctas
2490 Views, 24 Replies

Assigning Stories

When for some elements that are out of the height of a storey we try manually to change the storey in which they were initially defined, an error message appears: “The element is defined on a storey different from the assigned one“ and after that we are not able to run the analysis.

Is there a way that we can normally assign a storey to elements that are out of the height of it?

(In the attached example i firstly defined a storey and then I manually changed the storey of some elements from the inspector dialog box).

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
Tuctas
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

O.k i will wait.

About the other two issues, they did occure in your initial test didn't they?

Message 22 of 25
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Tuctas

About the other two issues, they did occure in your initial test didn't they?

If you man coordinates of Fs then no and I have tested that on few computers.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 23 of 25
Tuctas

No, I meant:

1.the results that concern the average storey displacements (and so the drifts) that still remain different between the "normal" and the "manual" way, even if finally the coordinates of F are the same for both cases (you had said in a previous reply that: "The average displacement of the story is the weighted displacement of the center of the gravity of the ceiling of the story where the weight is the mass of the surface elements of the ceiling therefore it does not depend of the columns from the above or below").

2. the results of modal analysis that are different between these cases.

Message 24 of 25
Artur.Kosakowski

For all 3 models the geometrical matrixes and stiffness matrixes are the same. The difference is caused by the small difference in mass matrixes due to definition of mass eccentricity. The 'addition' of nodal masses is done for 'slices' of the model as defined by created stories which influences the position of the center of gravity.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 25 of 25
Tuctas
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

O.k, so the occurred differences in the averaged displacements of stories (and thus the drifts) are not generated because of the difference in the collection (group) of nodes in each storey but (only) because of the caused difference in the coordinates of center of mass.

I tested the results of averaged displacements and drifts for the two cases (“normal” and “manual” definition of storey) according to a load case that doesn’t involve mass (i.e wind) and they were the same indeed.

My (personal) conclusion is that the user can do these kind of manipulations in the definition of stories and he can view the results as expected. All these explanations were useful to understand the way the program works in such cases.    

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report