Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14
sergey.churilov
856 Views, 13 Replies

ARSA2013 solids

Are solid and shell modelling options implemented in ARSA2013?

I mean is it possible to model RC shell cylinder with solid terrain under it?

Are there any problems when mixing solids and shells in the same model?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Yes it is possible

MIND that modeling by ACIS now is less powerfull than in the version you use(d).

I remember this huge (from robot FEM point of view) church meshed with volumetric elements with results file size 40 GB 🙂

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 14

Ok. It's pity that the ACIS was downgraded.

Yes, you well remember the model of a church (actually, part of Fossanova Gothic Abbey). Maybe I can upload a picture somewhere on this forum for other users to see the modelling possibilities of Robot.

Message 4 of 14

Maybe I can upload a picture somewhere on this forum for other users to see the modelling possibilities of Robot.

Please do

Rafal Gaweda
Message 5 of 14

Dear all,

Enyoj the pics from the most complex model I have made so far in Robot (acutally Robot Millennium v.20.1.5).

It is a model for a part of Fossanova Abbey in Italy.

abbey_1.png

abbey_2.png

abbey_3.png

abbey_4.png

abbey_5.png

Message 6 of 14

THIS IS IT !!!!!

Rafal Gaweda
Message 7 of 14

Congrats!!! Nice model. How long did it take to build the model and to run it?In what kind of computer?

Rafael Medeiros
Robot Structural Analysis

Message 8 of 14
tony.ridley
in reply to: Rafacascudo

wow very cool..............

yes I'm interested in how long to mesh, how long to calculate?

actually, how did you even create this?  extrude poly lines and merge solids?

good work!Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14

Thank you guys.

The model was created in 2008. Since then a long time past, so if I recall correctly it took me about 1-1.5 months to do it.

The modelling and meshing, as well as the analysis was done on Dell Latitude D830. The modal analysis time was about an hour. Time history analysis was performed with Petrovac earthquake, but unfortunately the results could not be saved since the capacity of the laptop HDD was reached.

During saving, the file with results was over 40Gb. Of course, some reduction of the saved results might be good idea to save it, but some errors were produced in RM after saving.

The model was created by extrusion of polylines and contour objects and merging solids. Also, object combination option was extensively used. Also, shell elements for the vaults were used. That was the trickiest part of the model to achieve. First solid vaults were modelled, but the final model included shell vaults.

The vaults were created as a result of an intersection between two halves of the vaults.

Here I must thank Rafal for his support in those days. I still keep his avi files with explanations how to achieve this.

I tried few days ago to analyze this model with ARSA2013, but unfortunately some calculation error was produced. I cannot recall the number of the error. Maybe this was due to the fact that some ACIS modelling options have not been implemented in the latest version.

Message 10 of 14

anyway it's a good model to see.  1.5 months!  

At home, or client paying for this??  just curious.....

Message 11 of 14

Smiley Happy

It was for a research project.

Message 12 of 14

niceSmiley Very Happy

looking at the deflected shape, it seems some parts were in tension.  I'm guessing if it's an old church it is made of stone?  How did you account for zero tensile capacity of stone in the model?

Message 13 of 14

You could not do that in linear analysis. Later it was decided to analyse with other nonlinear analysis packages like Abaqus. Robot Milennium was used to check its possibilities for such modelling. Unfortunately, no valuable results were used from Robot in the project.

Message 14 of 14

who cares about results!

looks cool

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report