Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying Hydrostatic pressure to only a section of a panel

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
jonathan.leddy
1609 Views, 12 Replies

Applying Hydrostatic pressure to only a section of a panel

Hi,

I am designing a waterretainng tank which has two compartments. In design I need to consider the load effects when both sides are loaded and also when one side is loaded only.

When I apply hydrostatic loads I seem to be only able to specify the pressure details then apply to the full panel which works ok for the "both sides loaded scenario" but not the case where only 1 side is loaded. The outer wall of the model, which was defined in revit, spans the full wall length. I know that the panel could be shortened to stop at the internal wall then create another panel for the other side but this seems counter intuitive.

Is there a way when applying to hydrostatic pressure to a wall that you can specify a contour to which the load applies? I can see geometcial limits option in the load definition box but really struggle to understand what it is saying, maybe it is the solution though?

Thanks for your help guys.

JTL 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Hyd_pressure_level.PNG

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 13

Thank you for your reply Artur.

Unfortunately I do not understand how to do what you suggest. I have drawn a line where the panel would be split but I can't seem to isolate the hydrostatic pressure to one side of the panel. Maybe I did not properly convey my problem. See the image attached.

you can see more clearly that the panel spans the whole length of the structure, however I wish to only load hydrostatic pressure to one side. can the panel be split easily or is there a way to apply the hydrostatic load in a contour type fashion that would allow this?

many thanks,

JTL

Message 4 of 13
napooil
in reply to: jonathan.leddy
Message 5 of 13

I'm sorry I misunderstood your question and assumed that you wanted to limit the horizontal level of the load. Please see the movie:

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 13

Thank you Artur, this is perfect. I understand now how the geometrical limits are used in this type of loading. Many thanks.

JTL

Message 7 of 13

Hello @Artur.Kosakowski 

Could you please share this video again, it looks like it cannot be viewed anymore?

Thanks,

Alex

Message 8 of 13

Hi @alex.mcfadyen 

I can't see any issue watching it. Anybody else having such situation as well?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 13
Romanich
in reply to: alex.mcfadyen

Hi @alex.mcfadyen,

Try to check with another browser. Firefox - no issues with this video.

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Roman Zhelezniak

Robot Evangelist & Passionate Civil Structural Engineer

LinkedIn | Robot & Хобот | App Store for Robot
EESignature

Message 10 of 13

yes I can see it now, 

Thanks for the help @Romanich @Artur.Kosakowski 

Message 11 of 13

Hi all,

I have applied an hydrostatic load to the structure in the attached.  I inputted an h=583 which is my water elevation top and the load extends to the bottom of my structure.  It appears that the load is applied in the correct directional but there is small vector at the top that appears to be applied in the opposite direction (not wanted). The load vectors are also weirdly magnified.  With a quick check of reactions the load is not being applied as intended. Anyone experience this issue before? 

Thanks!

Message 12 of 13

Hi Thomas,

This is ok - just a graphical representation because the force is resolving to 0. I actually think if you split the wall panel at the water level so the 0 point is the boundary of where the loading is applied that this graphical issue does not occur - but from what you've shown this is quite typical

Message 13 of 13

@jonathan.leddy thanks for your reply.  To clarify this is a volumetric object (sorry should have said in OP), so I don't believe I can split the side as mentioned.  As for the load I was able to apply them correctly with the geometric limits. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report