Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(API) Robot API - get bar forces at user local axis - calcgamma question

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
463 Views, 3 Replies

(API) Robot API - get bar forces at user local axis - calcgamma question

Hello,

I have a free-form roof steel grid where I want to calculate the in-plane and out-of-plane bending moment of my bars at each connection.

I have read all the posts about how to set the gamma angle in my bars, but when I do it, I don't get the right orientation:

I take two bars at the connection I want to analyze.

I create two vectors, from the connecting node to the end nodes of the bars.

I calculate the cross product of the two vectors, that gives me the normal vector of the plane between the two bars = mynormal

I calculate the gamma angle that my bar should have to be orientated in the direction of the plane I want (mynormal in global coordinates) :

foundgamma = myRobotBar.CalcGamma( mynormal(0), mynormal(1), mynormal(2))

myRobotBar.gamma = foundgamma

I dont' get the right angle. By doing it aproximately with the Robot GUI, I get a gamma angle of -37 degrees, with my script 1.38 .

I have check every step and it is right, the only thing I cannot check is the function CalcGamma, because I don't know the z local axis vector

Does the function CalcGamma returns the angle in radians or degrees?

Alternatively I would like to get the local z vector of my bar in global coordinate, so I can calculate the angle myself and transform the moments to the axis I want.

How can I do this?

I have been working on this for days, any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

V.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Anonymous

Alternatively I would like to get the local z vector of my bar in global coordinate, so I can calculate the angle myself and transform the moments to the axis I want.

Bar.GetLocalMtx    to get transformation matrix

Example :

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/robot-structural-analysis/api-macro-for-nodal-displacements-in-local-c...

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Thanks Rafal for the quick reply.

I have several questions about the GetLocalMtx:
Description
Function returns transformation matrix for the bar local system.

What does that means?
If I multiply LocaMtx by (0,0,1), do I get the Z local axis in global coordinates?

Is LocalMtx the transformation matrix that transform a vector given in local coordinates to a vector in global coordinates?

Also, do you know if in Robot 2014 Calcgamma retuns the angle in degrees?

Many thanks,

V.

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected. If you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing stated in this communication shall be legally binding.

The ultimate parent company of the Atkins Group is WS Atkins plc. Registered in England No. 1885586. Registered Office Woodcote Grove, Ashley Road, Epsom, Surrey KT18 5BW. A list of wholly owned Atkins Group companies registered in the United Kingdom and locations around the world can be found at http://www.atkinsglobal.com/site-services/group-company-registration-details

Consider the environment. Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.
Message 4 of 4
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Anonymous

Is LocalMtx the transformation matrix that transform a vector given in local coordinates to a vector in global coordinates?
Local to global : vector x transposed mtx
Global to local : vector x mtx

Also, do you know if in Robot 2014 Calcgamma retuns the angle in degrees?

Degrees, I guess

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report