Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API - Knowing how user defined variable beam

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
pnacht
404 Views, 4 Replies

API - Knowing how user defined variable beam

As discussed here, Robot does not allow one to (efficiently) get the properties of (multiple) intermediate points of a beam. So now my program calculates all the properies itself (which is how I'm finding the little errors I've pointed out here and here). But now I've hit another bump.

Robot allows one to define a variable section and then apply that section to beams independent of their orientation. So if you have a beam which has, for example, variable height near the supports (and is therefore defined by two bars), you can use the same section definition for both bars and they will both have maximum height at the supports, even though they have the same local coordinates. There is no need to define two opposite sections (where hw1 of one is the hw2 of the other). This is really cool.

Now, I also fear it makes my life impossible. The section data I collect for a variable bar returns the definition of the section. Now, if that bar has been defined with the section applied opposite to its true orientation, the section data is not inverted.

I define a variable section with hw1 and hw2. I create a beam which goes from node P1 to P2 (in that direction), but apply this section applied going from P2 to P1. I therefore need to know that hw1 actually represents P2 and hw2 represents P1. I can't assume that hw1 belongs to the beam's origin node (P1) and h2 to the end node (P2).

Can this be done?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: pnacht

Once we discussed this:

NOTE: important is the commands order

variableinpoint.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 5
pnacht
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Yes, my original post linked to this method. It is, however, very slow if you want to get an arbitrary number of points (as shown here) and then you still need to parse a textfile. Also, my intent is not to show the properties in a table, but to get the values and use them elsewhere in the code.

Is this the only way of getting the properties of variable beams defined "inverted"?

Message 4 of 5
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: pnacht

Now, I also fear it makes my life impossible. The section data I collect for a variable bar returns the definition of the section. Now, if that bar has been defined with the section applied opposite to its true orientation, the section data is not inverted.

ReversedSection attribute ?

Rafal Gaweda
Message 5 of 5
pnacht
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Perfect! I don't know how I didn't see this in the documentation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report