Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(API) Create objects such as panels or section properties from Excel table

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
CarolineHulin4038
1389 Views, 14 Replies

(API) Create objects such as panels or section properties from Excel table

Hi,

I've seen a lot of spreadsheets to update objects such as panels geometry via an Excel table but I haven't seen anything about creating such object. Is there a simple way to create and define new section properties or  new panels (i.e thickness, geometry,...) using an Excel? When going to the panel table, there is no column containing the coordinates of the nodes or the number of the contour bars.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

I am attaching very old example having all the things inside VBA code you are looking for

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 15

Thanks for the very quick response.I'll look at it.

Message 4 of 15

For some reason I can't do exactly what I want. Here's the problem. I have to apply wind load to a quite complex structure. The wind load input is a pressure value so I'd like to create non structural panels that I would use only to distribute the load to adjacent beams. As far as I understand the way to do it in Robot is to create panels with "inactive" reinforcement properties, some random material with null density, random thickness and in the panel model properties no stiffness and unmeshed load transfer. Am I right? If so, what is the best way to create such panels from an Excel file specifying the contour by nodes or bars?

Thanks

Message 5 of 15

If your panels are perfectly flat ,the best way to distribute the load is using claddings.

Claddings are created in the same way as regular panels.Some restrictions like total flatness and some load types as temperature apply , but pressure load is not an issue.

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 15

All right. Thank you.

I want to create these cladding panels based on an Excel file that contains all the bars of my structure (i.e bar number, node numbers and node coordinates). What is be the best way to put that information into Robot? If it's VBA, what is the syntax to use?

Where can I find a list of the VBA syntaxes that refer to Robot objects?

Thank you

Message 7 of 15
nany717
in reply to: CarolineHulin4038

In lines of the same issue, I am facing a hurdle...

I have a structure on which I would like to apply wind load as well as acceleration loads on objects and masses.

The problem I am facing is, I am applying wind loads as pressure distributed on the cladding as suggested above. But since cladding has no material properties or density, the forces induced due to the acceleration forces are not considered in calculations

So, I modeled both panels and cladding at the same location, and applied wind load only on cladding by giving the cladding number.

Is this the correct way to do it ?!
Message 8 of 15
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: nany717

So, I modeled both panels and cladding at the same location, and applied wind load only on cladding by giving the cladding number.

Is this the correct way to do it ?!
Not recommended but it should work
But why do you need claddings in  such situation? Just apply loads to panels.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 9 of 15

What is be the best way to put that information into Robot? If it's VBA, what is the syntax to use?

It depends on your skills. You can use VBA, VB, C#, C++

Where can I find a list of the VBA syntaxes that refer to Robot objects?

Install SDK from media or find it on this forum. After installation or unpacking SDK from forum everything what is available will be visible in SDK folder: tutorials, samples, documentation (Robot API.pdf)

Check also this thread:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/robot-structural-analysis/useful-addins-for-robot-api/td-p/3899448

additionally search forum with keyword "API"

Rafal Gaweda
Message 10 of 15
nany717
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

The panels in my case are 6mm thick steel panels. I wanted to distribute the total wind load on to the connected members.

If I apply the wind load on to the panels, the panel itself will be loaded and the rest will be distributed to the members connected, right.

For conservative purpose, I did that way.
Message 11 of 15
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: nany717

Understood.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 12 of 15

Thanks to your help I managed to create my cladding panels as I wanted. But I am facing another issue: the panels axis orientation.

As per the ROBOT help, the panels local axis orientation depends on the order of the panels nodes (i.e the normal axis orientation is based on the right hand rule, going from node 1 to node 4). My structure has a cylindre shape and I create the panels in a way that the normal axis should all be oriented towards the exterior of the cylinder. But when I do this, all the normal axis are oriented towards the positive global X axis. Thus, I tried reverse the order of the nodes for the panels that got badly oriented. Even after that change, the normal axis remain towards the positive global X axis. How can I fix this?

Thanks

Message 13 of 15

Use " panel local direction" to change created local axes. See attached pic

Panel local system.jpg

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 14 of 15

My structure has a cylindre shape and I create the panels in a way that the normal axis should all be oriented towards the exterior of the cylinder. 

You are looking for:

object.Main.Attribs.SetDirX
object.Main.Attribs.DirZ

Rafal Gaweda
Message 15 of 15

Hi, were you able to do this? I am looking to do something similar. I want to create a structure using slab and wall elements. Could you please help me out with it? I am trying to do it using C#, but I am flexible to using macros as well.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to your reply

Rahul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report